Are you in the market for a true horror story?

Once upon a time, man discovered how to wrest chemicals out of nature which man could use to various ends useful to his comfort -- chemicals for dissolving dirt, chemicals for killing bugs and weeds and bacteria, chemicals for burning to make engines run and things go. But what they didn't know (and would never tell) was that those chemicals would get into the air and water of populated places, and there would murderously assault the most vulnerable of victims, unborn babies in their mothers' wombs.

In, the toxins would creep, to brutally strangle the life out of these dearly wanted babies. This is no joke by the way. This is the reality of toxic abortion. One after another, scientific studies have now shown that common forms of man-made air pollution and water pollution are as much as tripling the rate of miscarriage/stillbirth/spontaneous abortion/call-it-what-you will. In one Utah town, the onset of fracking was immediately met with a stillbirth rate jumping to six times the norm.

In medical literature this has been known "toxic abortion" for a century or so, as exemplified in An Experimental Investigation Concerning Toxic Abortion Produced by Chemical Agents by Morris M. Datnow M.D., BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Volume 35, Issue 4, pages 693–724, December 1928. Think about that date, 1928 -- at least that long ago, it was specifically known that specific families of industrial chemicals, a rogue's gallery of modernly widespread pollutants, was killing the unborn in the womb. This phenomenon is long well known to farmers as well, who experience it in connection with their livestock in polluted areas.

In considering this horror I am reminded of those little poems written by opponents of medical abortion -- the kind performed by a doctor, not an oil company or industrial chemical manufacturer. The detractors of that practice would write representations the desire of the unborn baby not to be aborted. And yet, those same plaintive wailers who claim to oppose abortion sit strangely silent, complicit, when it comes to babies -- even their own -- being killed in droves by corporate activity. As if their concern was not with unborn babies suffering or dying at all, but simply with those whose deaths could safely be protested without leveling criticism at corporate killing concerns. Do they fear the corporations? Is that why anti-abortion protests are almost always seen around the vicinity of small, locally operated clinics, and not around the voluminously abortion-performing hospitals run by national health-care conglomerates?

But returning to the issue of toxic abortion, I have asked abortion protesters on several occasions what they think of this, and have been met with stonewalling, with "I don't believe it" and "it's not an issue" and "the law already covers that" and "there's nothing we can do about that." All of which is surprising in light of the general tenor of that group -- the willingness to accept much scanter evidence of maladies supposedly associated with elective abortion (one would think the same maladies would come in connection with a toxic abortion); the plea for the preciousness of lives no different from those being snuffed by chemical pollutants; the determination that laws protecting the unborn from elective abortion can always be made stronger; the tackling of as intransigent an issue as abortion rights, which has been upheld even in courts stocked by abortion foes.

On one end of the spectrum, this is a credibility issue. If those who claim human life is sacred are unwilling to take even the smallest step to defend dearly wanted unborn babies from death by industrial pollution, are co-conspirators in the carrying on of that practice, why ought any of their claims be believed? And on the other end of the spectrum, the real horror continues unabated and little-watched, as babies are melted away by pollution invading mothers' wombs, with nobody even pretending to speak for them.



----
For those who "doubt" that the phenomenon exists, here are recent studies and reports:

* "In Massachusetts, Contaminated Drinking Water Linked to Stillbirths" by Gail Sullivan, in The Washington Post, October 6, 2014.
* "In Utah Boom Town, a Spike in Infant Deaths Raises Questions" by Zoë Schlanger, in Newsweek, May 21, 2014.
* "Research Suggests Living Near Highways Can Cause Miscarriages" by Zoë Mueller, July 5, 2013.
*"Air Pollution Linked with Stillbirth Risk"
*"Traffic fumes can increase miscarriage risk"
*"Seasonal Ambient Air Pollution Correlates Strongly With Spontaneous Abortion in Mongolia"
*"Pollution May Affect Fertility and Induce Miscarriage" by Maxine Frith 18 October 2005.
*"BPA, Phthalate Exposure May Cause Fertility Problems" by Trish Henry, CNN, October 15, 2013.