If you're a fan of the Fallout series of games, you probably had strong feelings one way or another about Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. You might have been eagerly awaiting word of Fallout 4. At E3 2015, you got the announcement- a November release date. Hooray! What to do until then? Well, Bethesda Softworks has your back. They also surprise-announced a resource-collection timewaster game named Fallout Shelter. Released for iOS (and in August, for Android) this is a classic resource farming freemium game, akin to Star Trek: Trexels or a zillion other timer-based things.

The thing is, though - it's really sort of good. It's definitely Fallout - one thing that Bethesda (and Black Isle, originally) have been is determinedly in control of the artwork and look-and-feel of Fallout games, and this is no exception. Build a Vault-Tec Vault, by building rooms! Assigning dwellers to jobs, based on their S.P.E.C.I.A.L scores! Collection bonuses and caps! Send dwellers out to explore the Wasteland and bring back phat lewtz! Manage stimpacks, RadAways, food, water and power to keep your (hopefully growing) Vault population alive and defend from RadRoach infestations, fire, and Raider attacks!

The objective system is a little wonky, but doable. I'm not sure how long a game this is in terms of holding my interest, but it's doing okay for the weekend so far. While you can buy rare-item-chance cards in-app, I've managed to not spend any money. Recommended if you like Fallout, have a portable device with a decent-sized screen and time on the subway or bus.

282