Six weeks. That's all. She quit after 6 weeks. She had taken some classes at the community college and had been a babysitter for years. She was sure she would love a job at the day care center but it was the worst thing she had ever done. EVER.

She thought at first that the kids were teasing her. She knew how small kids liked to tell stories and get extra attention. They would draw pictures of kids locked in closets till mom comes back from store-thats all or fights between parents- thats a chair, cause he hits her with that when he's really mad . She dismissed it for a while but it became harder to listen to when she heard her co-workers describe the things they had overheard.

Parents arrested for drug sales while watching four neighbor kids, kids left at grocery stores so Mom could go next door to have her nails done and the ever popular "Man who stayed the night." It scared her and saddened her but mostly it sickened her. She started getting headaches and nausea on the way to work. She lost sleep and when she did sleep, it was mostly bad dreams. Dreams of sad faces looking out car windows. All alone.

The last straw was a Thursday afternoon. A boy she had in her room for three weeks was watching a cartoon about dragons. The dragon was trying to tell a story about sharing. The boy, blond hair with a cowlick that could not be managed, sat on her lap. When it was over he turned around to look at her and asked only one question, one last question. She left the next day.

Why does my Dad want to share my sister?