A novel by software engineer Andy Weir, a hard science fiction version of Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Self-published online as a serial novel, and then in Kindle format in 2012, a hardcover edition was published by Crown in 2014.

The plot centers on the travails of astronaut Mark Watney, left for dead on Mars by his fellow astronauts evacuating during a dust storm. Damage from the storm leaves him unable to communicate with Earth. Watney's challenge: survive until the next manned Mars mission arrives... in two years. Much of the plot is science driven, as Watney has to MacGyver ways to produce water, air, and food, and to find a way to let NASA know he's alive. 

Most of the novel consists of diary entries detailing the scientific and engineering obstacles Watney encounters. So while the story is suspenseful and exciting (the type of solo adventure novel that could even appeal to children),  following the turns of plot does require a college-level familiarity with chemistry and physics. (When originally published on his blog, astronauts, spaceflight engineers, chemists, physicists, and geologists emailed Weir to correct or enhance his plot points.)

One major conceit that you'll need to get past: the sole stranded astronaut happens to be the mechanical engineer/ botanist of the mission (how convenient!). While Weir has written Watney's character as a smartass, providing genuine laugh lines to break up the novel's tension, the novel's main weakness is slighting the psychological toll of solitary confinement 40 million miles from the rest of humanity.

Long before the book was published in hardcover, film rights were optioned by 20th Century Fox, with Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class, Elysium) attached as producer and Drew Goddard (The Cabin in the Woods, Cloverfield) attached as writer/director.


Additional sources:
Ira Flatow and Andy Weir. Interview, Science Friday. February 14, 2014.http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment/02/14/2014/andy-weir-the-martian.html(accessed April 16, 2014)
Georgia Rowe, "Andy Weir's self-published 'The Martian' travels through space to best-sellerdom," San Jose Mercury News. March 10, 2014. http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_25313443/andy-weirs-self-published-martian-travels-through-space (accessed April 16, 2014)
Jeff Schneider, "Drew Goddard in Negotiations to Write and Direct ‘The Martian’ for Fox (Exclusive)." The Wrap. May 15, 2013. http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/drew-goddard-negotiations-write-direct-martian-fox-exclusive-91896 (accessed April 16, 2014)
Andy Weir, "How science made me a writer." Salon. February 11, 2014. http://www.salon.com/2014/02/11/how_science_made_me_a_writer/ (accessed April 16, 2014)