The more power we lend to the idea of rape as the "worst thing that can happen to a woman" the more powerful angry men (and women) who are likely rape people will feel. Rape is bad, but it is not the worst crime: it is not murder. It is a form of assault that, due to our cultural biases about sex, may to lead to great and lasting emotional trauma for the victim.

I have a good male friend who has considered rape as a reasonable option for "getting back” at a woman who cheated on him and then left him. Since he was good friend, he was able to tell me how angry he was. I comforted him and told him he had a right to feel angry. I also pointed out that hurting the woman wouldn’t really make anything better or make him feel any better. After talking some more, he agreed with me—and let the notion go. He seemed to feel better since he’d talked about it.

Later he told me that he had tried to talk about it with another friend and she was so shocked and angry that she still would not speak to him. (!) This made him feel even more alienated and angry. He said that the fact that I listened gave him the chance to really think about what he was saying, and to feel vindicated in his anger without needing to act in revenge. This is how I know that attempting to stamp out all evidence that some people have such urges only makes the problem more ugly.

I am perplexed by the nearly hysterical reaction some people have to the idea of rape. I say it is “hysterical” because in comparison to assault or murder it seems somewhat out of proportion. That is, I think, a remnant of the times when a woman who was not a virgin was thought unfit for marriage. I am perplexed by the emphasis some feminists place on rape as a “crime against women” this only continues to reaffirm the notion that women are primarily valuable as sexual chattel rather than as people?

I have exposed these views on rape since I was 16 or so. (Often getting in arguments with my peers.) Depending on my line of argument I’ve been threatened and on more than one occasion someone has said “I hope someone rapes you, then you’ll learn to be more sensitive!!

Well, oddly enough that wish came true, last year… I was raped by three men I don't know. “Gang Rape” I am bitter and angry: But I have not changed my views. I asked the detective to treat the case as "poisoning and assault" (they put something in my drink, then picked me up in the parking lot.)

I told the police that I don't believe in "sex crimes" only in assault and was very proud of myself for standing up for the things I believe in.

I’m not a ruined woman. And won’t let anyone mourn me as if I were.