後宇多

Emperor Go-Uda (12671324), whose reign name literally means "Emperor Many Eaves the Second," was the 91st emperor of Japan, according to the traditional chronology, reigning from 1274 to 1287.

Born Prince Yohito, Go-Uda was the second son of Emperor Kameyama. Go-Uda ascended to the throne at age 7 when his father abdicated in his favor. During his reign the Mongols invaded Japan twice at the orders of Mongol khan/Chinese emperor Kublai Khan, but were turned back both times by unseasonable storms. However, it was Go-Uda's father Kameyama, acting in his role as retired emperor, that led the nationwide prayer to the gods credited with saving Japan from the second, more massive invasion.

In 1287, at age 20, Go-Uda was forced to abdicate by the Hojo Shogunate in favor of his cousin Fushimi, as Fushimi's father Go-Fukakusa had persuaded the Shogunate that Kameyama was plotting against them. This set up a schism between the two rival imperial lines descended from Kameyama and Go-Fukakusa that would ultimately lead to decades of warfare and civil strife.

Like his father, Go-Uda was clever and ambitious. In later years, he would scheme with his second son Go-Daigo to overthrow the Shogunate and restore direct imperial rule. These plans would ultimately succeed, but Go-Uda died before they saw fruition, passing away at age 58 in 1324.


<< Kameyama - Emperors of Japan - Fushimi >>