Acts of the Apostles by John F.X. Sundman

So I finally sat down and read a book again. I read so much stuff online, that I think this might be the first book I've finished since Dune. Thankfully, it was worth it, and made for an enjoyable read.

The trouble with a lot of science fiction or techno-thriller books, movies, etc. that are on the market is that often they dumb down parts of the work in order to achieve to a wider audience. Well, you won't find any of that here. The number one thing I appreciated about this book is that it "gets it right" so-to-speak, and doesn't skimp on the gory details, even when it comes to the microchip design and production process. That's not to say that the book lacks in areas such as character development, but it's what struck me first.

The story is set in modern times, with most of the corporate entities based on actual companies enough to make them believable, and enough references to actual companies to ensure the reader that is just merely fiction and not an allegory to a conspiracy theory, although it could be. Well enough about that, lets introduce just enough of the plot to get one interested!

The plot involves a genius turned corporate executive, Monty Meekman, who has constructed submicroscopic machines for use in his plot. These machines are linked to Gulf War Syndrome, and the plot is discovered by Nick Aubrey, who is courrently being courted by Monty for employment in Monty's organization.

The book does an excellent job of having a plot that spans continents, yet is still kept on a personal level with just over a handful of characters. Also, it moves very quickly, which helps those like myself who are short on attention span and need the plot to keep moving.

The characters are also interesting. The reader gets to chance to see almost all of them in situations with other characters and alone, so that they really s art to develop and you feel you know them well.

Is this book going to change the way you think about a certain subject? Probably not. It will, however, give you an entertaining story that is not only believeable, but enjoyable as well.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.