Donald Pleasence (1919-1995) was a respected British film actor from the 1950s to the 1990s. Today Pleasence is perhaps best known for his definitive role as James Bond's archnemisis Ernst Stavro Blofeld in 1967's You Only Live Twice. Although several other actors played Blofeld in the series, it was Pleasence's baldness, bland looks, and deadpan delivery that were best remembered and inspired Mike Myers' Dr. Evil character in the Austen Powers films. Pleasence is also well-known for his starring role as methodical, Ahab-like psychiatrist Sam Loomis, who relentlessly pursues a serial killer in the Halloween series of horror movies (1978-1989).

In a very prolific career, Pleasence also had memorable roles as one of the explorers in Fantastic Voyage, a cross-dresser in Roman Polanski's bizarre Cul-de-sac, a Nazi in The Eagle Has Landed, and the forager in The Great Escape. Born in Nottingham, England in 1919, Pleasence made his London stage debut in 1939. In World War II, he served in the RAF, was shot down, and served time in a German POW prision. After the war, Pleasence became a popular actor in British TV, and made is film debut in The Beachcomber (1954).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.