It's vaguely similar to a regular IRON NODER CHALLENGE, except it's set in an entirely different country, with an entirely different cast, and just a few brief cameos by familiar faces from the past...
Presenting, the 11th annual edition of the toughest quest around...
⛩ IRON NODER: TOKYO DRIFT ⛩
It's been one year since the last IRON NODER CHALLENGE, and the team has gone their separate ways. One member is imprisoned in a maximum security prison in Brazil. Another is on a undercover mission in war-torn eastern Ukraine. Someone else has seemingly gone rogue but is secretly working for the CIA...
Meanwhile some younger up-and-coming noders and a few grizzled veterans travel to Tokyo to try their hand at the challenging sport of...Japanese Drift Noding!
Here's how it works. All you have to do is...
Write 30 things worth reading in 30 days.
As in past years, the topics of your nodes can be anything you like! But this year, in addition to hitting all your nodes, you get extra bonus points if you can also drift using secret Japanese knowledge. Each node about either 1) some aspect of drift racing or 2) some aspect of Japanese language, society, culture, or history, will earn 100 bonus GP as well as a guaranteed C! from mauler (assuming basic noding standards are met).
And of course, the usual IRON NODER rewards also apply:
- WET PAPER NAPKIN NODERS who sign up for the quest but never get around to writing a writeup will still receive a 10 GP bonus for (arguably) good intentions.
- TIN NODERS who write between 1 and 4 writeups will receive 5 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 50 GP for their participation.
- ALUMIN(I)UM NODERS who write between 5 and 9 writeups will receive 10 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 100 GP for their participation.
- BRASS NODERS who who write between 10 and 19 writeups will receive 15 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 150 GP for their participation.
- BRONZE NODERS who who write between 20 and 29 writeups will receive 20 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 200 GP for their participation.
- IRON NODERS who who write between 30 and 39 writeups will receive 30 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 300 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- STEEL NODERS who who write between 40 and 49 writeups will receive 40 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 400 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- STAINLESS STEEL NODERS who who write between 50 and 99 writeups will receive 50 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 500 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- TITANIUM NODERS who who write between 100 and 199 writeups will receive 100 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 1000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- ORICHALCUM NODERS who who write between 200 and 299 writeups will receive 200 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 2000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- MITHRIL NODERS who who write between 300 and 399 writeups will receive 300 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- VIBRANIUM NODERS who who write between 400 and 499 writeups will receive 400 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 4000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- ADAMANTIUM NODERS who who write more than 500 writeups will receive 500 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 5000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- If anyone wishes to sponsor any additional rewards or prizes, just /msg mauler!
But remember! This is Japan, you crazy gaijin!!! We must always follow THE RULES...
- The Iron Noder Challenge begins at 00:00 (server time) on November 1, 2018, and ends at 00:00 (server time) on December 1, 2018. Writeups submitted outside that timeframe will not be considered part of the quest.
- To join the hallowed ranks of the IRON DRIFTERS, you must submit 30 new writeups in 30 days. The IRON DRIFTER IDEAL is 1
per day, but we must be flexible about that to allow for normal life
circumstances, days away, illness, etc. Flooding New Writeups with 30
writeups in 1 day, while legal, would be frowned upon, and the E2
userbase would probably not react well.
- Any topic, any form, anything goes.
- There is no minimum or maximum length for writeups. They must simply
survive. Nuked nodes will not count towards your total. For this
reason, final rewards will not be dispensed until a couple of days after
the December 1 deadline, to allow last-minute writeups to be voted on
and pass muster with the editors.
- You may write a maximum of 5 daylogs.
- You may prepare material in advance. However if this stops you
noding for the remainder of October, this would also go against
the IRON DRIFTER IDEAL.
If you would like to join, let me know via /msg, and I'll add you to
the roster. There is nothing wrong with joining late; just don't forget
to let me know!
We'll be utilizing the ironnoders usergroup for any major
communications; if you're in the group now and are not on my confirmed
IRON DRIFTER list as of November 1st, you'll automatically be dropped from
If you'd like to see more accurate updates than I have posted here, check out iron noder progress. It even shows which ones
you've voted on!
Whether or not you're attempting the challenge, you may volunteer to read and vote on every write-up submitted in the quest. This year's panel of IRON VOTERS will consist of mauler and anyone else who wants to join! Just /msg me and I'll add your name here (this is a great way to contribute to the quest if you don't have time to write actual writeups).
Need inspiration? Try Everything's Most Wanted, Random Nodeshells, the nodeshells on jessicapierce's scratch pad, The Custodian's Nodeshells I'd Like Filled, and wertperch's nodeshell challenge.
Now enough chit-chat. LET'S DRIFT!!!!
The Iron Drifters
Number of participants:
Number of writeups:
Average number of writeups:
Number of IRON NODERS:
Below are this year's participants. For up-to-the-minute standings, check out Iron Noder Progress!
- andycyca (1)
- Empty chairs at empty tables
- arylisa (20)
- Walking on the Psychedelic Road
- Reflection of Queens
- Waking Up in the Psychedelic Emergency Room
- A Trickster
- Perfect Percy
- A Little Samaritan in a Big Apple
- The Weaver's Tale
- Essence of Ester
- Bad Trip: Scenarios and Plots
- Bad Trip: Delusions
- If America Had a War on Sex like it Does with Drugs
- Artificial Capitalist Heaven
- Boardwalk Reflections
- Midnight the Healer
- Relic from a Distant Journey
- Reflections of a Foreign Visitor
- An Appetite All Right
- brassish (6)
- Life's Wager
- Green chili
- walking foot
- train fare to India
- Riding with Todd Gogulski
- Chord (7)
- Red is the rose that in yonder garden grows
- The Weird Candy
- Maggie Noyr 1.1
- Maggie Noyr 1.2
- I hate Capsaicin specifically
- Dark Planned Parenthood
- Historical parallels between World War I and the Thirty Years' War
- Dustyblue (6)
- health bar
- The House on the Borderland
- November 9, 2018
- The Amanda Show
- Drake and Josh
- Estelore (12)
- organ of Corti
- Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
- the autumn leaves are turning to the color of your name
- tumor, rubor, dolor, calor
- Glowing Fish (20)
- Cripple Creek Ferry
- Wild Horse Island
- Peaks Island, Maine
- Eighteen Mile Island, Oregon
- Madeline Island, Wisconsin
- Cinnamon Girl
- Buena Vista Ferry
- Salish Sea
- McNeil Island, Washington
- Kalama, Washington
- Sarichef Island, Alaska
- The Tsuranga Conundrum
- Chilean Ley de Alimentos
- Fascism is a Lie
- Diamond Island, Kentucky
- Something In The Way
- Charles Hall Ferry
- The Latin American Paradox
- gnarl (1)
- J K Rowling never wrote here
- lizardinlaw (14)
- Anti-Aging Clinic
- Jak2 mutation
- November 3, 2018
- November 5, 2018
- November 6, 2018
- New opportunity
- Naturo Pathology: I like it like that
- November 11, 2018
- police wellness check
- bucket list
- dorsal lithotomy position
- mauler (4)
- Nemosyn (6)
- Olmec Obituary
- October 31, 2018
- Trying to explain Everything to your non-Everythingite friends
- Pandeism Fish (6)
- The solar panels of Mars Rover Opportunity
- Daylight Savings Time
- Jews who supported Hilter
- I'll pray for you
- The even more dangerous game
- Answers in Pandeism: Theological Claims of Exclusivity
- Pericles McGee (1)
- blind attack
- raincomplex (11)
- a direct teaching
- I. The Revelation of Fabrics
- II. The Queen of Snowdrops
- III. The Line of Trinkets
- IV. The Scholar of Forms
- V. The Two of Embers
- VI. The Persistence of Mysteries
- Physical Insights from Conway's Game of Life
- VII. The Vectors of Thought
- VIII. The Moon
- IX. The Necessity of Bricks
- Serjeant's Muse (11)
- After the Hilltop
- Blind swine mate
- Site Trajectory Visualization
- Boden's mate
- emotional calculus
- Cozio's mate
- Saproling Burst
- Fires of Yavimaya
- Silverai_me (1)
- Budgie smuggler
- Stasik (2)
- November 6, 2018
- November 11, 2018
- Tem42 (7)
- The Lives of Tao
- Raymond Kertezc
- Lizardman's Constant
- The Most Good You Can Do
- Zero player game
- Zephronias (0)