Holy shit, my children, I've never administered an Iron Noder before, and I'm moderately freaked the fuck out, but I will not allow this goddamn website to go without an Iron Noder quest in November!
I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm copying and pasting what mauler did last year and hoping I can handle everything.
OH GOD, I'M GOING TO THROW UP.
Many hundreds have tried. Mere tens have succeeded. Do you think you have what it takes to enter the hallowed HALL OF THE IRON?
All you have to do is... Write 30 things worth reading in 30 days.
Why do we do it? For the HONOR! For the GLORY! But most of all, for the REWARDS!!!
The rewards are as follows:
- WET PAPER NAPKIN NODERS who sign up for the quest but never get around to writing a writeup will still receive a 10 GP bonus for (arguably) good intentions.
- TIN NODERS who write between 1 and 4 writeups will receive 5 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 50 GP for their participation.
- ALUMIN(I)UM NODERS who write between 5 and 9 writeups will receive 10 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 100 GP for their participation.
- BRASS NODERS who who write between 10 and 19 writeups will receive 15 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 150 GP for their participation.
- BRONZE NODERS who who write between 20 and 29 writeups will receive 20 GP per writeup plus a bonus of 200 GP for their participation.
- IRON NODERS who who write between 30 and 39 writeups will receive 30 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 300 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- STEEL NODERS who who write between 40 and 49 writeups will receive 40 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 400 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- STAINLESS STEEL NODERS who who write between 50 and 99 writeups will receive 50 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 500 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- TITANIUM NODERS who who write between 100 and 199 writeups will receive 100 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 1000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- ORICHALCUM NODERS who who write between 200 and 299 writeups will receive 200 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 2000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- MITHRIL NODERS who who write between 300 and 399 writeups will receive 300 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- VIBRANIUM NODERS who who write between 400 and 499 writeups will receive 400 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 4000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- ADAMANTIUM NODERS who who write more than 500 writeups will receive 500 GP per writeup, plus a bonus of 5000 GP for their participation, plus a bonus of 3000 GP for achieving IRON NODER status, plus will have their names inscribed in THE HALL OF THE IRON.
- If anyone wishes to sponsor any additional rewards or prizes, just /msg Jet-Poop!
But lest ye be tempted to count your gold before the IRON is forged, be sure to heed...
- As always, the Iron Noder Challenge begins at 00:00 (server time) on November 1, 2022, and ends at 00:00 (server time) on December 1, 2022. Writeups submitted outside that timeframe will not be considered part of the quest.
- To join the hallowed ranks of the IRON, you must submit 30 new writeups in 30 days. The IRON NODER IDEAL is 1 per day, but we must be flexible about that to allow for normal life circumstances, days away, illness, etc. Flooding New Writeups with 30 writeups in 1 day, while legal, would be frowned upon, and the E2 userbase would probably not react well.
- Any topic, any form, anything goes.
- There is no minimum or maximum length for writeups. They must simply survive. Nuked nodes will not count towards your total. For this reason, final rewards will not be dispensed until a couple of days after the December 1 deadline, to allow last-minute writeups to be voted on and pass muster with the editors.
- Thou mayest write a maximum of 5 daylogs.
- Thou mayest prepare material in advance. However if this stops you noding for the remainder of October, this would also go against the IRON NODER IDEAL. (Doesn't really matter in this case. I guess if you wanna go back in time and write material during October, there's nothing I can do to stop you.)
If you would like to join, let me know via /msg, and I'll add you to the roster. There is nothing wrong with joining late; just don't forget to let me know!
We'll be utilizing the ironnoders usergroup for any major communications; if you're in the group now and are not on my confirmed IRON NODER list as of November 7th, you'll automatically be dropped from the group. (I don't know how to do this yet and will have to figure it out.)
If you'd like to see more accurate updates than I have posted here, check out iron noder progress. It even shows which ones you've voted on! (I don't know how to do this yet and will have to figure it out.)
Whether or not you're attempting the challenge, you may volunteer to read and vote on every write-up submitted in the quest. This year's panel of IRON VOTERS will consist of (checks notes) me? And anyone else who wants to join? Just /msg me and I'll add your name here. BAHGOD, wertperch says he'll do it, too! (this is a great way to contribute to the quest if you don't have time to write actual writeups). (Honestly not sure what this is about, but I'll figure it out.)
Need inspiration? Try October 19, 2019, Everything's Most Wanted, Random Nodeshells, the nodeshells on jessicapierce's scratch pad, The Custodian's Nodeshells I'd Like Filled, and wertperch's nodeshell challenge.
Good luck and remember, becoming IRON will echo through the ages, but rust never sleeps! Time to show us what you're made of!
The Iron Noder Components
Number of participants:
Number of writeups:
Average number of writeups:
Number of IRON NODERS:
Below are this year's participants. For up-to-the-minute standings, check out Iron Noder Progress!
And here are the results so far!
- November 1, 2022
- The Hidden Cost of a House
- Dogs and cats used to have jobs
- Artisanal Necromancy
- Chord's standard gift-giving advice
- I am not a vampire
- Science journalism
- Long March into Idiocy
- Spartan Diplomacy is an oxymoron
- Snappy answers to a weird question
- "United Earth Federation" My Ass
- I've praised the Lord so loudly, don't I deserve a little sin?
- Sodom and Gomorrah: What about the kids?
- We judge cats unfairly
- I can prove that Jesus was both human and divine
- Some texts really are sacred
- A new, bold, creative kind of plate armor
- November 19, 2022
- The dream of money
- Pop pop pop
- November 20, 2022
- USPS isn't a private business, nor should it ever be
- Study, study, study, but maybe just to learn
- Riding through racism
- Queer eye in the sunlight
- What you find within yourself, in the darkness and silence
- My good buddy, Andy T
- I'll tell you why you want Democracy
- Who the heck wants to look like an old lady? Pick me, pick me!
- I'll take care of him, Boss
- I'm just saying, keep an eye on anyone named "Angrus McMurderstab"
- if you don't have anything nice to say, a rose still smells as sweet
- Dracula Daily
- paprika hendl
- Early Americans Disliked Great Britain Exceedingly
- Lost Voices of Hagia Sophia
- Cappella Romana
- Plagal of the Fourth Mode
- Plagal of the Second Mode
- Birding at Rend Lake
- Ednew English
- Leitner Box
- internet cat jargon
- Halls of Mandos
- touch grass
- The Mouse That Roared
- Nemo dat quod non habet
- Genderflip this and you won't like it
- Cheshire Crossing
- Pain synesthesia
- Moominsummer Madness
- Rainbow Friends
- gombeen man
- The Magicians of Elephant County
- These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)
- September 13, 1845
- October 13, 1845
- Under the Whispering Door
- A Good Girl's Guide to Murder
- Tiggy Touchwood
- October 24, 1845
- Causes of the Potato Blight
- All black American flag
- Hey Wullie
- Moomin and the Brigands
- Moomin and Family Life
- Shadows: Amsterdam
- Exploding dice
- It was in Baghdad
- liminal space
- The Backrooms
- November 8, 2022
- The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe
- Soft lock
- play through
- November 16, 2022
- Kevin MacLeod
- Table Top Role Playing Game
- Knifepoint Horror
- fan base
- Hardcore Henry
- The only winning move is not to play
- web serial
- Dark Ambient
- November 26, 2022
- Gate Keeping
- Analog horror
- Natural Reader
- November 28, 2022
- Session Zero
- November 30, 2022
tiger cub (17)
- time crystal
- the paradox of willpower
- the paradox of structure
- A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread - and Thou
- Oh me
- Luke Kelly
- I can prove that Jesus was both human and divine
- Louis MacNeice
- Extrinsic motivation
- Intrinsic motivation
- flow state
- Roast duck, with apple & potatoes
- potato eyes
- everything is going to be alright
- ecological dread
- Charlie Bucket
- Election day
- Blue Screen of Death
- First Snow
- Farm to table
- Pewter Velvet
- Eternal Life
- let's sneak away
- Sentient Fashion
- The Dark Side of Professional Botany
- Back to the Cold
- Farmers' Market
- November 21, 2022
- grey man
- squaw fire
- The Lone Toilet
locke baron (4)
- Things on the train
- Halloween Hellraising
- Smoke and shadows
- Monton de Tierra
- Lure Animal