Ancient (or classical) skepticism has two branches:

Today, modern skepticism has taken on a new focus. Instead of peace of mind, it has moved to a more epistemic focus - to pursue truth and knowledge. The inquiry is followed where ever it may lead. At the core of it is the question of knowledge, what is it to know something, and can anything be known.

Skepticism is also a Finnish band of the funeral doom metal genre. They are known for playing some of the heaviest, slowest, and most depressing music out there. Their song The March and the Stream is considered by many doom metal fans to be one of the most depressing songs ever recorded. They are also one of the few funeral doom bands that are able to release albums in regular intervals (Doom metal bands in general are not a very motivated bunch, but funeral doom bands are the worst!) It is not generally known who the members of Skepticism are, as their website and albums lack that information. Perhaps that sort of thing is not important to them.

Discography:

1991 - Towards my End - (7 inch) - Self Released
1993 - AEOTHE KAEAR - (Demo Tape) - Self Released
1995 - Stormcrowfleet - (CD) - Red Stream
1997 - Ethere - (Mcd) - Red Stream
1998 - Lead and Aether - (CD) - Red Stream
1998 - Aes - (Mcd) - Red Stream
2002 - The Process of Farmakon - (Mcd) - Red Stream
2003 - Farmakon - (CD) - Red Stream

As well as having the basic guitars, vocals and drums of a metal band, they also use organs to instill an incredibly dark and depressive atmosphere. Their plodding, slow melodies and almost-dead-heartbeat drumming are the hallmarks of funeral doom metal, and Skepticism are definitely recognized as masters (if not partial creators) of the genre. Like most doom metal bands, their songs have very long running times – Aes, for instance, is one 28 minute long track.

Skep"ti*cism (?), n. [Cf. F. scepticisme.] [Written also scepticism.]

1.

An undecided, inquiring state of mind; doubt; uncertainty.

That momentary amazement, and irresolution, and confusion, which is the result of skepticism.
Hume.

2. Metaph.

The doctrine that no fact or principle can be certainly known; the tenet that all knowledge is uncertain; Pyrrohonism; universal doubt; the position that no fact or truth, however worthy of confidence, can be established on philosophical grounds; critical investigation or inquiry, as opposed to the positive assumption or assertion of certain principles.

3. Theol.

A doubting of the truth of revelation, or a denial of the divine origin of the Christian religion, or of the being, perfections, or truth of God.

Let no . . . secret skepticism lead any one to doubt whether this blessed prospect will be realized.
S. Miller.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.