"Closet sin, sin commited in privacy. Bp. Hall." as seen below

To add to Webster 1913s definitions, closet can refer to anything committed in privacy. To be a closet something, all you have to do is represent yourself as one person while really being another. Does this sound confusing? Something of an explanation follows...

I often accuse one of my friends of being a closet Trekkie. He watches Star Trek secretly when nobody is around. I find his hidden appreciation for Star Trek endearing, but I encourage him to be his true self, and not fear being caught watching Star Trek. I believe myself to be a closet messy person (not to be confused with a messy closet person), having a neat and orderly bedroom to display and a nice workspace on my desk but dishevelled drawars and random clothing under the bed! I often believe others are closet 'N Sync or Britney fans. Of course, I don't condone this kind of deception and deceit. Come out of the closet! Proclaim your love for cheesy Mentos Commercials and elevator music! Be revealed!

See also: Closet Top 40 Listener, Closet Goth, Closet Nodesheller

Clos"et (?), n. [OF. closet little inclosure, dim. of clos. See Close an inclosure.]

1.

A small room or apartment for retirement; a room for privacy.

A chair-lumbered closet, just twelve feet by nine. Goldsmith.

When thou prayest, enter into thy closet. Matt. vi. 6.

2.

A small apartment, or recess in the side of a room, for household utensils, clothing, etc.

Dryden.

Closet sin, sin commited in privacy. Bp. Hall.

 

© Webster 1913.


Clos"et, v. t. [imp. & p. pr. & vb. n. Closeting.]

1.

To shut up in, or as in, a closet; to conceal.

[R.]

Bedlam's closeted and handcuffed charge. Cowper.

2.

To make into a closet for a secret interview.

He was to call a new legislature, to closet its members. Bancroft.

He had been closeted with De Quadra. Froude.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.