A trendy club opened during the fall of 1999 near the Farringdon tube station in London. The venue is in the basement of what used to be a cold storage building and has three main dance floors separated by brick archways, making most areas seem smaller than the club's 2,500 person capacity would suggest. Fabric currently has many popular djs in residence (most notably Sasha) and is open (sometimes much) later than clubs in Leicester Square. The queues can be monsterous (arrive by 23:00 if you must get in for the main act), the tourists insufferable, but the music is usually worth it (if techno is your thing).

There are three common ways of making fabric. Each one creates material with its own properties, which must be understood when sewing.

  1. Weaving, where warp threads go over and under woof threads (e.g. the denim used to make jeans).
    Unless the threads are themselves elastic, woven fabric doesn't stretch. It is prone to fraying if not hemmed or cut with pinking shears.
  2. Knitting or crocheting, where each row of threads is looped over the threads in the next row (e.g.the cotton jersey used in T-shirts).
    Knit fabrics stretch easily, and are best sewn with a serger rather than a sewing machine. Fine knits curl up, but do not unravel when cut with standard scissors.
  3. Felting, where fibres are matted together under pressure (e.g., well, felt).
    Felts have very little tensile strength, and are rarely used for sewing, except as material for appliques.

If you ever get to go to London’s trendy nightclub “Fabric” you might notice something odd about the sinks in the toilets. The unusually shallow sinks only dispense a fine mist of warm water. Its not that they care about your hygiene or that they thought you would appreciate the tepid drizzle. It’s actually to prevent you from filling up your water bottles from the sink.

Clubbers on pills need water – without them they dance, sweat, de-hydrate and die… the poor things. Fortunately drinking plenty of water is an easy way of preventing any harm. Club managers know that clubbers need water so they make the ‘free’ water undrinkable and uncollectable, forcing clubbers to buy their tiny overpriced bottles from the bar. Clubbers often find it a surprise to learn how commercial their favourite pastime is.

Fab"ric (?), n. [L. fabrica fabric, workshop: cf. F. fabrique fabric. See Forge.]

1.

The structure of anything; the manner in which the parts of a thing are united; workmanship; texture; make; as cloth of a beautiful fabric.

2.

That which is fabricated

; as : (a)

Framework; structure; edifice; building

.

Anon out of the earth a fabric huge Rose like an exhalation. Milton.

(b)

Cloth of any kind that is woven or knit from fibers, either vegetable or animal; manufactured cloth; as, silks or other fabrics

.

3.

The act of constructing; construction.

[R.]

Tithe was received by the bishop, . . . for the fabricof the churches for the poor. Milman.

4.

Any system or structure consisting of connected parts; as, the fabric of the universe

.

The whole vast fabric of society. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fab"ric, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Fabricked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Fabricking.]

To frame; to built; to construct.

[Obs.] "Fabric their mansions."

J. Philips.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.