When you think about how much weight each of your socks is supporting you will understand why I say that your socks are some of the hardest working apparel you own. Designed to cushion and protect your foot the right socks will also wick moisture away from your foot, support your various arches and help your feet remain at a consistently even temperature. Where I work socks are a tool we use to manipulate how a shoe fits a particular foot. Wearing the right socks with properly fitting good supportive footwear can improve your posture, increase circulation, and may reduce stacking joint stress. The right socks can also help eliminate foot odor. The right socks can make the skin covering your feet look and feel better creating a happier, healthier you.

Socks are a vital part of what people in the shoe industry call moisture management. A disproportionately large number of your sweat glands are located in the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet. On average people lose roughly two ounces worth of sweat through the pores in their feet. That moisture needs a place to go which is where your sock comes into play. Either your sock will allow moisture to pass through or it will trap moisture and hold it next to your foot. Cotton socks tend to hold moisture next to the foot instead of allowing it to escape which is one of the reasons the store I work for does not carry socks made primarily from cotton. Moisture wicking materials (sometimes referred to as performance fabrics) are selectively permeable fibers with breathability.

Having a sock that breathes allows your foot to remain at a more stable body temperature. Sweat is one of the methods your body has for eliminating waste products. Sweat has a high salt content and whenever I see either very damp or dry flaky feet standing on the Brannock device typically that is a function of the sock that person happens to be wearing. Now that we've established the importance of wearing moisture wicking socks we can move onto two other features the right socks will have; cushion and support. Throughout the day each of your socks is under a tremendous amount of pressure. Anything you can do to cushion and support the feet under your socks will help your feet accomplish the things they need to do in comfort.

The next time you go shopping for socks flip the sock over after you're done perusing the material content. Socks come in cushioned and non-cushioned varieties. Socks are one of the things that take up room inside of a shoe so knowing what type of a foot you have will help you determine which level of comfort is correct for you. The following statement is a broad generalization however typically people with wider feet will benefit from a thinner sock while people with narrower feet get more utility out of a sock with extra cushion in the sole. Thinner socks will give people with a high volume foot more room inside of their shoes. Conversely people with trim feet may find a thicker sock provides a better footwear experience.

Both dress and athletic socks are manufactured with cushion and support. Whenever you are shopping for socks feel the bottom of the socks you intend to purchase. Regardless of the sock top cushioned socks have a thicker sole than their non-cushioned counterparts. Certain socks have support knitted into the various parts of the sock. Depending on how many hours you spend on your feet this can make a difference in how your feet feel at the end of the day. Performance athletic socks should have cushion and support; if you are unfamiliar with the concept of good supportive socks one of the really nice features supportive socks offer is an arch brace. Socks with arch braces support the arches you use to move your feet, you might not think a sock could make that much of a difference but I would encourage you to try it especially if your arches are medium or high.

Most shoes are designed to be worn with socks. As I mentioned previously the average person pours a couple ounces of sweat into their shoes each day. Giving your shoes an opportunity to dry out by rotating through your footwear will help your shoes last longer. It will also be better for your body. Foot odor is an unpleasant thing to discuss however happily it is typically a matter of eating right, remaining properly hydrated, wearing the right socks and rotating through your shoes. The right socks will be a naturally hostile environment for germs. Socks that have yarn woven with precious metals remain controversial although some claim that they have been clinically proven to help improve the skin beneath them. This is particularly good news for diabetics who may have little or no sensation in their extremeties. 

Wearing the wrong socks can harm your body which is why I'm making an effort to educate people about what type of socks are out there. Socks that are too tight can cut off circulation. Some people have a tendency to restrict their toes by pulling their socks up too far. When a sock fits properly the heel of your foot sits comfortably in the heel of the sock, the sock is neither too loose nor overly snug, toes have plenty of wiggle room and your feet are giving the socks a figurative thumbs up. So far I haven't discussed price or brand names such as Thorlos, Smartwool or Wigwam. Typically premium socks come with a higher price tag however it is my professional opinion that you get what you pay for in terms of quality performance footwear.

Financially savvy consumers will save money by shopping the sales, visiting factory stores, collecting sock coupons (where available) and writing good supportive socks on their Christmas list. Wearing the right socks may mean you need fewer of them, you will replace them less often because the right socks will last. A well made sock will give you years of stable reliable service which is one of the reasons I am willing to pay extra for the right socks. Having the right socks can make a difference in your overall comfort. The right socks are wardrobe builders. Start with the basics, gradually add colors and textures in styles that fit and flatter you. A quick note about care for your socks: please turn your socks inside out when you wash them. This will keep any pills that form inside the socks, fluff the inside and if you think about it that's where the dirt resides.

Hopefully you've learned a thing or two over the course of this writeup. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or want to share a sock brand you think I would would like to know more about. Feedback is always nice so if you've enjoyed reading this writeup I would like to know who I can thank for their time and votes. I hate to dwell on a negative note however during my research I was unable to discover where the mates to all the right socks go after their trip through the laundry. Humans have explored the four corners of the earth, they have gone beneath the sea, we've put a man on the moon but as far as I know there is no scientific theory that adequately explains where the disappearing socks go.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.