Some examples from popular culture:
JUNO by Diablo Cody

JUNO (halting): Wait a minute. Is that a Les Paul?

Juno is staring into a room with the door slightly ajar. We see GUITARS mounted on the wall, and the edges of posters.

MARK: Oh. That's, uh, my room. Vanessa lets me have a room for all my old stuff.

JUNO: Wow, you get a whole room in your own house? She's got you on a long leash there, Mark.

MARK: Shut up.


CONFESSIONS OF A CRAP ARTIST by Philip K. Dick
What she wanted was, it seems to me, paradoxical; she wanted him to be a man, but at the same time to meet her own standards, and these standards, having been set for herself, were not a man's standards. (...)
The oddest part was Fay's feeling that this house belonged to her and that Charley, her husband, was somebody who came in and sat down in a chair and got the chair dirty. He sweated on the furniture. But again this might not have been her actual attitude, but more a pose; she might simply have wanted to keep the idea current that this was primarily her house, and that in the house her laws functioned. Down underneath she may have recognized perfectly well that without Charley and his money there would have been no house -- but, like the drinking, a particular theory fitted her needs and so she entertained the theory. She let him know that the house was her sphere. . .and what did that leave him? An office down at his factory to work in at night (...)