The Pitbull Breeder's  Daughter

I was at the doctor's the other day (nothing serious, a mouse bit me) and I met a nice tweenage girl with an MCM bag. Being somewhat of a fashion watcher, I remarked that I'd been to the MCM boutique on Madison Avenue in Manhattan, with its signature white long-haired cat. She was semi-interested, and asked me what kinds of cats I liked. I said "All kinds. Except when they overbreed Persians, and have no noses and you can see their open tear ducts, or twisty cats, or Siamese with kinked tails."

"That's when they make mistakes and breed cats with other breeds?"

"No, that's when they breed cats that are too closely related. You can't breed two cats with the same relatives, it's...gross."

This seemed to make her uncomfortable."So you don't like any special breed?"

"No. I like plain old alley cats, who aren't purebred at all. They're the most fun, after you get them fixed."

She looked incredulous.

Somehow I think I got an idea of what the family business was....


Also, I doubt whether she had a real idea what a "pet" was -- an animal friend and playmate. It's all very sinister...

I also had to explain "alley cat", and that cats don't really come in breeds...most people don't concern themselves with that kind of thing, when it comes to cats.

All of this shocked her, and made her very uncomfortable...