It is also one of Victoria's Secret's scents. It comes in a gold bottle with red clear center, shaped like a heart.. Smells spicy.

A comic book character created by Erik Larsen. Her real name is Sharona Jackson, and she first appeared in Savage Dragon #4. Rapture is a tall black woman with very long, curly brown hair. Her hair has a white streak right down the middle. Like nearly all of Larsen's female characters, she is extraordinarily busty and likes to wear thongs.

Rapture grew up poor and turned to prostitution to support herself after her father died and her mother disappeared. After escaping from her murderous pimp, she was abducted by a mad scientist named Dr. Nirvana, who was experimenting on people looking for a way to give himself superpowers. When he experimented on Rapture, however, an explosion destroyed his lab and gave her the ability to generate electricity and shoot lightning bolts. She ended up electrocuting her pimp when he tried to kill her, and soon decided to become a superhero. She also joined the Chicago Police Department for a while.

She dated the Dragon for quite a while and gave birth to his son, but the big dork was too chicken to marry her. Then she got murdered by an evil dictator from another universe -- a shocking act even in a comic book like "Dragon", where death is common and almost casual. Honestly, I suspect Rapture was more popular with the readers than Larsen had suspected. Rapture has made reappearances in the past, but they've usually been unmasked as imposters, shapeshifters, evil alternate-universe duplicates, illusions, evil clones, etc.

Rap"ture (?), n. [L. rapere, raptum, to carry off by force. See Rapid.]

1.

A seizing by violence; a hurrying along; rapidity with violence.

[Obs.]

That 'gainst a rock, or flat, her keel did dash With headlong rapture. Chapman.

2.

The state or condition of being rapt, or carried away from one's self by agreeable excitement; violence of a pleasing passion; extreme joy or pleasure; ecstasy.

Music, when thus applied, raises in the mind of the hearer great conceptions; it strengthens devotion, and advances praise into rapture. Addison.

You grow correct that once with rapture writ. Pope.

3.

A spasm; a fit; a syncope; delirium.

[Obs.]

Shak.

Syn. -- Bliss; ecstasy; transport; delight; exultation.

 

© Webster 1913.


Rap"ture, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Raptured (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Rapturing.]

To transport with excitement; to enrapture.

[Poetic]

Thomson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.