This document is not current, and is kept only for archival purposes. Please refer to Everything2 Help for all up-do-date help documents.

<<Back to the FAQ

dem bones began a program some time ago to assist new users in getting acclimatized to writing for and using Everything2, thus the E2 Mentoring Sign-Up was born.

The sign-up is currently maintained by a group of helpful folks (currently Apatrix, wertperch, creases, and LaggedyAnne); any questions or comments about it should be directed to one of them. It is designed to pair new users off with an experienced mentor, ideally in their Time Zone and having similar interests. The usual lead time between asking for a mentor and being assigned one is 24 hours or less. This allows the new user time to peruse the FAQs, to read more nodes, and to get a better feel for the system before diving into the nodegel. The keystone of the mentoring sign-up is patience; please give yourself time to learn the ropes.

  • What should I do before becoming a mentee?

    There are a few FAQs you might want to be familiar with before beginning your noding career on Everything2:

    It would be good to review these, and note any areas you feel need help with, or things you think will be difficult. Ask these questions of your mentor.

  • How do I become a mentee?

    Send a /msg to one of the maintainers listed above requesting a mentor. You must include your Time Zone and any subjects in which you may be particularly interested, or things you think you will need advice on. You can expect a response within 24 hours.

  • I got a mentor, but they never responded to my /msg. What should I do?

  • Give them two days to answer, then let the person who assigned your mentor know about it. You will be reassigned to another mentor.

  • Who is eligible to be a mentor?

  • In order to become a mentor, you must be:
    • level four or above,
    • willing to log on to E2 at least once daily, barring vacations, etc., and
    • willing and patient enough to help new users.
    • accepted by the maintainers of the mentoring system.

  • Who should become a mentor?

  • Anyone, everyone, if you have the time and patience and are at level 4, you should become a mentor and share your knowledge with a new user.

  • How many people should I look after?

  • This varies from one mentor to another - traditionally, people have tended to say "two or three at any one time". Personally, I have never found that three is too many, and that is the default value I apply these days. If you find that you are stuggling, let one of the admin staff know, and we'll reduce your 'workload'.

  • How do I become a mentor?

  • As with signing up to become a mentee, send a /msg to one of the mentor list maintainers. You should tell him your Time Zone, the number of users you would be willing to assist at a time, and any noding specialties you may have. He will notify you when you get a mentee. hint: it won't necessarily be immediately!

  • My mentee has fled, what should I do?

  • If your mentee has been gone for two months without any contact with you, let one of the mentor list maintainers know via /msg and he will remove them from the sign-up, opening a slot after your name.

  • How should I go about being a mentor?

  • Consider the things that most puzzled or troubled you when you first signed on, share your experience with your mentee. If you have reached level four, you probably already have an innate sense for what does and does not work on E2. Critique, edit, and be honest with your mentee. Ensure that they are familiar with the FAQs, and above all, be patient.

  • What should a mentor actually do?

  • Well, bearing in mind the above, the first thing you should do is contact your mentee, let them know you're available, perhaps offer alternative methods of contact (email, IM, phone...)

    Ask them what they need, and be ready to offer support in that area. Different people have different needs, different styles of communication, different personalities. Be flexible, where you can.

    Be proactive if they need that, take a back seat if they need that. Some like to be left alone, and have you occasionally pass comment or offer suggestions, some want you to be more forthcoming, and be more directly involved. Again, be flexible.

    It always worth while giving then a node audit to check their work at the outset, and see what kind of help they need, blabbing where appropriate to offer constructive criticism. Then keep in touch, occasionally checking their new work, and letting them know how well (or otherwise) they are doing.