Adriane Carr is the leader of the Green Party of British Columbia, which she co-founded in 1983, to be the first Green Party in North America. She is also the proponent for the Proportional Representation Initiative of 2002.

She was born in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada in 1952 to European immigrants, and was raised in Vancouver's Lower Mainland and in the Kootenays. She graduated from Burnaby North Secondary School in 1970, and earned her Master's Degree in Geography from the University of British Columbia, as well as a piano-teaching degree.

She was chair of Interdisciplinary Studies at the Vancouver Community College for two years, and taught for 13 years. She established British Columbia's first college Geography Field School. Elected to the position of Faculty Association representative, she created solutions to government cut-backs.

In 1987, Adriane started working in management, fundraising, campaigns, and publication teams for the Western Canada Wilderness Committee. She was among the negotiators between Clayoquot Sound's First Nations people, and the MacMillan Bloedel logging company.

She ran for the Green Party in British Columbia's 1983 provincial elections, and in the Vancouver School Board's 1984 elections. She was elected to leadership of the Green Party after a vote of non-confidence ousted then-leader Stuart Parker.

She has lived on the Sunshine Coast since 1988, and is married to Paul George, founder of the Western Canada Wilderness Committee. Together, they have two teenage children.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.