Fall 43rd 1112
I completed my first gun today. It's a single shot flint lock pistol. I'm surprised that I'm the first one to think of this but then again it's not like it was easy to make. crafting a barrel is hard. I think I'm going to have to hire more talented people than myself when I try to create an actual rifle. And to do that I'll need money. Of course before all that I need to make sure that the gun actually works. I don't even know what the right amount of black powder is. Start small and scale up until it looks right. Or I blow the pistol up! I may need some way of remotely firing it. Problems for tomarrow. Joy!

Autumn 45th 1112
Couldn't test the pistol yesterday because of weather but it didn't matter because I tryed to fire it like thirty times and the powder just wouldn't ignite. I got it to burn outside of the gun so the problem must be the flint lock. Got a sweet roll on the way back, really wish they had cinnimon. The cloves is just weird.

Fall 46th 1112
More Rain but at least the roads are paved. Not that it matters, There is nothing I can think of to fix the gun. The flint either is not createing enough sparks or they aren't reaching the powder. I spent hours trying to think of what I'm doing wrong. I guess knowing the recipe for gun powder and enough iron working to create a tube out of iron doesn't make one a gunsmith. I'm thinking of breaking down and just trying for a matchlock but I would really like to avoid being dependent on slow burning twine.

49th day of fall 1112
So, I think I found a fix for the flint lock, more gun powder. On that note I need more salt peter. I think that half of the problem is that half of the force goes out the back. If I us a smaller opening I run a greater chance of miss fires. I'm getting kinda burned out on this project so I may take a break. Trying to recreate late mideavil technology from memory and guess work is hard.

61st day of fall
Wow you put something down and it really gets away from you. Well that and I got swamped with work.

68th day of fall
I'm back and I'm gunna work on the gun again. I figured out how to get the blast not to go out the back by off setting the hole. I'm gunna keep the original and just make a new gun.

75th day of Fall 1112
After 2 not so successful attempt I've got the barrel. Soon I'll have the trigger and the handle and then it will be ready to go.

76th day of fall 1112
It worked! And then it broke. Ten successful shots and the barrel split on the eleventh. Burned my hand when it happened. I still my fingers so alls well. But this is getting expensive. Some how I doubt if I'm going to be able to monitize this any time soon. But soon ... soon all the fools that laughed at me will pay ... MWAHAHA

78th day of fall 1112
I had a dream about home again. Between how real it felt and the dry boredom I feel for this place I wonder if I'm not dream right now. I think that part of the reason that I started this diary. I don't trust my on memory some days. I wonder if I'll remember the feeling next time I read this. I guess if I don't I'll at least know I'm losing it.

79th day of Fall
I've sort of stalled on the gun project now that I've had my first real success. I can't remember what I hope to accomplish. I can't exactly use one or two flint locks to take over the town, can't patent it, and I really doubt that I could keep it secret. I could get all of the parts here. Sulfur, salt peter, charcoal, iron, flint; none of these are hard to find. All anyone would need is a good look at the mechanism and the motivation to recreate it. More immediatly, I'm almost out of gun powder and I don't have the funds for more.

to be continued

Misspellings and grammatical errors are deliberate

RUST IS FOR THE WEAK

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.