These muffins are a nice late autumn alternative to the usually summer-oriented blueberry muffins. They are particularly useful for Samhain/Halloween celebrations since cranberries have a particular association with the October 31st holiday. It is nice to have something filling and bready to counteract all of the sugary treats sure to be found at every party, and these muffins are especially tasty as they contain the richness of buttermilk and the delightful mealiness of wheat germ. You can use dried or fresh cranberries for this recipe; dried produces a texture like raisins in the muffins, while fresh cranberries might make them a tad moist. Since cranberries are not always available out of season, I suggest trying it with fresh ones while you can!

Ingredients:

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400ยบ F. Grease 12 muffin pan cups or use paper shields. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt. Add cranberries, stirring to coat them. Then add buttermilk and butter; stir until just combined. Spoon into the pan and bake for 18 minutes or so. Cool in pan for 2 minutes and then remove to cool on wire rack. Serve with butter!

Note: If you use large fresh cranberries the batter will become juicier and will possibly take up to double the normal amount of time to cook. Test the muffins with a knife or by cutting them in half to see if the center is still runny. If it is, put them back in for 10 more minutes.

Yield: 12 muffins
Source: Paraphrased and altered from a blueberry muffin recipe by DeeDee Stovel, Picnic
Use for: Samhain

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.