A cheesy Saturday morning cartoon that ran from 1985-1987.

Professional wrestling had been around long before television, but the mid-80's was when it really hit it big. Thanks to Vince McMahon, pro wrestling became great entertainment. Relying heavily on the "good guy vs. bad guy" storyline, the World Wrestling Federation became a national phenomenon. It was only a matter of time before a Saturday morning cartoon was developed based on the WWF.

The show featured any wrestler who was popular at the time (Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, The Junkyard Dog, Andre the Giant, Tito Santana, Roddy Piper, Nikolai Volkoff, etc.), but the focus was on the biggest star, Hulk Hogan. Hogan, who was a positive role model for all, was always the good guy and the basis for most of the plots. In many cases, Hogan was forced to ally himself and his "good guy" cronies with the "bad guy" wrestlers in order to get things done.

At the end, there were live segments in which Hogan, along with announcer "Mean" Gene Okerlund, would relay a positive message to the kids, ending the show with a moral of the story. The show had a "rock" side by featuring a montage of the wrestlers performing a variety of acts, backed up by popular music in the background. The concept for the series came from musician Cyndi Lauper, who often appeared in the cartoon as herself.

Yes, it was sorta cheesy, but the kids love it. If the kids love it... If you want a cartoon from the 80's, there's this and Mr. T.

None of the wrestlers provided his or her own voice for the cartoon. Hogan's cartoon voice was performed by Brad Garrett, who would eventually find fame as Robert Barone on the show Everybody Loves Raymond.

Thanks to yesterdayland for reminding me of the names.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.