The Julang-2 or 'Great Wave'-2 is a Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM) employed by the People's Republic of China. The Julang series is carried aboard the Type 094 SLBM submarine, deployed mostly from the naval base at Huludao. Each PLA Navy 'boomer' is designed to carry 16 JL-2 missiles in a sail-like configuration similar to the Russian designed Delta-class boats. Although currently undergoing research and development, the first JL-2 loaded Type 094 is expected to be completed by 2004.

The JL-2 is a submarine-launched version of the Dong Feng-31, a ground based ICBM also in development by the People's Liberation Army. However, the JL-2 is thought to have an even longer range than it's ground launched counterpart, further extended by the mobile and stealthy nature of submarines. The current maximum range of the JL-2 is thought to be approximately 7500 miles, enabling strikes from PRC territorial waters to almost anywhere on the planet. The 1999 Cox Report states that the increase in SLBMs in the forces of the PLN may suggest a significant change in the role of the Chinese submarines. Rather than venturing into open waters to attack enemy naval groups, the submarines may remain within PRC waters as a nuclear strike platform. Additionally, if the JL-2 were to employ a shroud or fairing to protect the warhead (as on most modern SLBMs), it would be the first PRC missile to do so.

RANGE     -  7,500 MILES
WARHEAD   -  SINGLE 2.5 MEGATON THERMONUCLEAR OR 
             THREE 90 KILOTON NUCLEAR
ENGINE    -  THREE STAGE SOLID PROPELLANT
GUIDANCE  -  INERTIAL/FIBER OPTIC
C.E.P.    -  LESS THAN 300 METERS


See Chinese nuclear capability for a full list of Chinese nuclear missiles

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.