The Mazda 6 sport sedan replaces the Mazda 626 and the Mazda millenia in the Mazda USA model line. It replaces the Mazda 626 in Austrailia (thanks simonc). With the Mazda 6, the company wants to introduce the idea of "Emotion in Motion" where cars appear athletic and well-performing. Driver pleasure, occupant comfort, safety, solid craftmanship and packaging flexibility are priorities. Their aim is to be a cheaper version of the BMW 3-series.

This vehicle was designed as an entirely new car on a new platform with a new family of engines. A wagon and hatchback version should be coming to the US. The Mazda 6 is produced in Flat Rock, Michigan and went on sale in fall 2002. It's market competitors are the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and the VW Passat.

The Mazda 6 is also known as the Mazda Atenza in Japan. Only models destined for sale in North America are built in Flat Rock - all other Mazda 6 cars for the rest of the world are built at a Mazda plant in Japan.

It's a great car - I drive one, and I have had it for nearly a year. It's a heck of a lot of fun to drive, well built, roomy inside, has a roomy trunk, and has good fuel economy, especially in the 4-cylinder versions. It also looks better than its competition, and is far more stylish than the bland 626 that it replaces. It is also available with a V6 engine coupled with a manual transmission, which sets it apart from many of its competitors.

The Mazda 6 is now also available in North America in 5-door hatchback and wagon forms - these body styles were available in Europe and Japan right from the launch of the 6/Atenza, but only became available in North America in February 2004. The 5-door hatchback (known as the Mazda 6 Sport) looks very similar to the sedan, and has no real competition in the North American market. The wagon (known as the Mazda 6 Sport Wagon) is very stylish for a wagon, and competes with such cars as the VW Passat wagon and the Chevrolet Malibu MAXX.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.