The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 was sold in 1991 and 1992. 2000 were imported into the US in 1991, and only 1000 made it stateside in 1992.

The Galant VR-4 was a performance version of the standard Galant. It was built the same time as Mitsubishi's 3000GT VR-4. The two cars share many traits. Both vehicles come equipped with all-wheel drive, all wheel steering, and both were turbocharged and intercooled.

One large difference between the two is that even though it is a formidable car, the Galant VR-4 still looks like just another 4-door sedan. It makes for quite a sleeper. Some VR-4's have been modified to produce over 400 horsepower, with quarter-mile runs under 11 seconds! It's handling is also quite good, and the car has won several WRC races.

Engine: 4G63T
The VR-4 came with the same engine found in the Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: a 16-valve, double overhead-cam 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. It produced 195 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 203 ft. lbs. of torque at 3,000 rpm.

Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
The VR-4 Had an all-wheel drive system that, under slippage, directed power to the axle with the most grip.

Steering:The VR-4 got Mitsubishi's four-wheel steering system, which is activated at speeds above 31 mph. Once engaged, the four-wheel steering system directs the rear wheels to turn up to 1.5 degrees in the same direction as the front wheels.

Suspension: The Galant VR-4 got a MacPherson strut design with coil springs and concentric shock absorbers up front. An independent double-wishbone system is in place in the rear. It is also equipped with front and rear stabilizer bars to minimize body roll.

Brakes: 4 Wheel anti-lock brakes. The VR-4 got essentially the same brakes as it's bigger brother, the 3000GT SL.

As an owner of a 3000GT SL, I can say I would love to own this underrated machine. Lightweight, with potential to make good power, this car could outrun anything in its immediate price range.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.