Operation Upshot-Knothole was a series of atomic bomb tests carried out by the United States Army at the Nevada Proving Grounds between March 17 and June 4 of 1953. Eleven tests were carried out during the operating, ranging from 0.2 to 64 kiloton yields. These tests were notable in that the Army intentionally exposed military personnel to atomic radiation so that medical effects could be determined. Structural damage to buildings and ground vehicles was also studied.

Operation Upshot-Knothole is also noted for having the silliest codename of any military operation.

Actually, I have to throw out Operation Tumbler-Snapper and Operation Buster-Jangle as candidates for the silliest codename as well. Both of those were also series of U.S. Atmospheric Nuclear tests.

Upshot-Knothole's first shot, called Shot ANNIE, was an 'open' shot, which meant that the press was allowed to watch from News Nob, 11 km from the shot tower. Some hold that the Government wanted to 'prove' to the American people that one could fight wars with atomic weapons without completely destroying cities. This appears to have backfired, as most of the famous images of structures and trees being destroyed that have permeated American culture through cinema and television for the past forty years are from this test series.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.