The Pescadores (Chinese: 澎湖群島 or Penghu) is an archipelago of 64 islands with a total area of 130 mi². It is located in the Taiwan Strait approximately 25 to 30 miles from the island of Taiwan and is currently under the control of the Republic of China as a portion of Penghu County (澎湖). It was lost to Japan in the Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895) with Taiwan, and regained with it following the end of World War II.

Although it became a Chinese territory in 1171, the islands were given their current name of Pescadores or "fisherman's islands" by the Portugese in the 16th century.

It's largest city is Ma Kung on Penghu island; Makung, Paisha and Hsiyu are the Pescadores' main islands (All 3 are connected with bridges). The area's chief industry is fishing; Peanuts and yams are also grown on the islands.

The islands hold many historical temples, fortresses, and tombs built by throughout the years by the Chinese including the Ancient Fortress at Hsitai, built during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), or a tomb on Chimei that memorializes 7 Ming women who who drowned themselves to protect their chastity from raiding Japanese pirates.


Map: http://en.wikipedia.org/upload/6/63/Pescadores.jpeg

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.