Beyond the road there are
no speed limits. Coyotes stalk
and the further you go
the less the rules walk.

Cross the boundary line to wilderness
and walk where the laughing tricksters stalk,
further and further
from the lines we have drawn.

You may not have realized, but
I run sometimes with coyotes, but
there are still speed limits for me.

I walk this road road - but you, receding,
stalk, fur-covered and wild-eyed,
heart bled and snapping

and there are marks on my ankle,
marks on my neck,
marks of coyotes
and the coming of rain.

I've decided to be a science teacher. Specifically, I'll be teaching physics at secondary school - that's high school for most English speakers outside of England and Wales, with kids between around 11 and 18. The nature of science teaching in Britain being what it is, I need to be prepared to teach chemistry and biology up to the age of 16, too, but since we're suffering a chronic national shortage of physics teachers (at least, ones who've actually studied physics) I may be mostly focusing on my specialty subject.

I don't mind either way, really. I've always loved physics - I delight in its deceptive simplicity, its amazing generality, the way it underlies and feeds into all other science. I'm endlessly fascinated by the workings of the world all over, though; it would be quicker to list the things I'm not particularly interested in than the things I am (sports and shopping come to mind - but even then, bring in enough science and you'll hook me). So while it hasn't stopped me writing about them, I've always been a bit sorry I didn't get more of a chance to study chemistry and biology, and it's nice to have a good reason to do it now - filling in the gaps in my fundamental knowledge, where years of New Scientist and dozens of different science podcast have only piled on details.

Anyway, I got on a PGCE course at Goldsmiths, University of London - a college known for its political ferment and its creative alumni. I'm loving the course so far - I'm learning and thinking more intensively than I have in years, and the general educational philosophy of the place is impressively sound, inclusive and questioning. I'm in the middle of the second week; in another two and a half weeks, I'll start my first school placement. Nine months from now, I'll be finished - with any luck, I'll be a fully qualified teacher. They don't waste a lot of time with teacher training in the UK!

Also, I've fallen in love. She's an artist and a naturalist, and she's been one of my favourite people for several years. So that's nice too.

Incidentally, although I really don't have very much free time at all right now, I'm also working on the next E2 Podcast, a Halloween special alongside 13 O'Clock: The 2013 Halloween Horrorquest. You should read something scary and email it to me! It'll be fun!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.