M&M's Ice Cream Treats bill themselves as "3 treats in one for 3 times the fun!". An exaggeration at best, M&M's Ice Cream Treats are really just round ice cream bars with food coloring in the chocolate shell. They come in three colors, red, blue, and green, and guarantee that you will get at least two colors in any 5-pack box. This is the kind of promise that reputations are made on.

Unlike M&M's Ice Cream Cones and M&M's Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches (my favorite of the three), the Ice Cream Treats have no actual M&M's in them. Instead, they are ice cream bars shaped and colored like a giant M&M's candy, complete with lowercase "m" stamped on one side. The "3 treats" referred to on the package are the ice cream, the chocolate coating, and a second, colored chocolate coating on top of that, because who hasn't bitten into an ice cream bar and wished for more chocolate shell?

In the unlikely event that you actually have, let me tell you it's not as good an idea as it might seem. First of all, it totally throws off the ratio of ice cream to chocolate shell. In a good ice cream bar, you've got plenty of ice cream, and any ice cream vendor who tells you differently is no gentleman. Too much chocolate shell just makes you thirsty, and sufficient quantities of delicious, creamy ice cream underneath will counteract this effect, just as sufficient quantities of jelly will counteract the effect of peanut butter in a PB&J sandwich.

The second problem is that the double-thick exoskeleton of chocolate snaps and splinters like a cheap taco shell. This gets chocolate everywhere. Everyone knows the true purpose of the chocolate shell is to hold the ice cream as it rapidly melts on the hot summer day in which you are almost certainly partaking of such a decadent treat. The ideal ice cream bar would have no more chocolate shell than is strictly necessary to perform this task.

My advice is to stick with the more generic ice cream bars.

 FOOD INFORMATION:
         Calories: 190
Calories from fat: 130
        Total Fat: 15g
    Saturated Fat: 12g
Contains less than 5% of the recommended daily allowance of 
anything that could conceivably be considered good for you.

kthejoker adds "Kind of refutes the whole 'melts in your mouth, not in your hand' slogan of yore, huh?"
Indeed, where is the candy shell? How can this be an M&M's product without the delicious protective coating of solidified saccharine over the chocolate?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.