As summer turns to fall turns to winter, a big bowl of this hearty rice, dotted with flavorful mustard seeds, is a comforting meal in a bowl. The Pineapple-Sake Marinade, which can be made in advance, gives this dish a tart but sweet kick when combined with the fresh lime juice. The flavored stock guarantees moistness without adding fat

Not-So-Fried Rice

Serves 6 small bowls.

Ingredients

Directions

Put the rice and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir once, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is al dente (just tender to the bite), about 15 minutes. Set aside, covered, to keep warm.

Whisk the eggs with the soy sauce in a small bowl and cook flat, omelet-style, in a 6-inch nonstick omelet pan, 2-3 minutes. Remove the omelet to a plate to cool slightly. Cut into ½-inch dice and set aside.

Heat the peanut oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots onion, daikon radish, garlic, mustard seeds, ginger and curry powder and sauté, stirring, until the vegetables are crisp-tender and coated with the spices, about 5 minutes.

Add the hot rice, peas, scallions, diced omelet, and ¾ cup of the Pineapple-Sake Marinade. Stir gently over low heat until thoroughly combined and heated through, about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Bring the stock and the remaining 1 cup marinade to a boil in a small, nonreactive saucepan over high heat. Meanwhile, spoon the warm fried rice into 6 large serving bowls. Ladle some of the hot broth mixture around each serving of rice, then garnish with lime wedges and serve.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.