From Arthur C. Clarke's books 2010: Odyssey Two, 2061: Odyssey Three, and 3001: The Final Odyssey. Near the end of 2010, when Discovery is still in orbit around Jupiter, Heywood Floyd is warned by the "ghost" of Dave Bowman to move a way from Jupiter. This they duly do. As they do, the monolith - TMA-2, aka Big Brother - starts duplicating itself, using the raw materials of Jupiter as construction material. Each duplicate duplicates itself until millions, if not billions, of monoliths are created. This has the effect of compressing the matter of Jupiter into a much smaller space. This implosion turns the gas giant into a mini-sun - Lucifer.

A note: The mini-sun is named Lucifer because Lucifer means "bringer of light". However true this may be, what are the chances that the demonic connotations of the name would be dispersed enough to make it a suitable name in only 60 years ?

Before HAL 9000 was destroyed, he sent out one last message: "All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landings there." The logic behind this soon becomes clear: Lucifer changes the Jovian system (Luciferian system?) of moons into a mini-solar system. The warming effect of Lucifer melts the ice on Ganymede and, more importantly, Europa. When the ice melts, the creatures who previously lived in the sub-ice ocean begin to evolve for surface life. Obviously this is another monolith project that wants no human interruptions.

The Lucifer/Jupiter implosion also hurled out the diamond core of Jupiter, about the size of Earth, in pieces. Some of this landed on Europa, with the rest in orbit around Lucifer. At the end of 2061, a vision of the future where the vast quantities of diamond had been recovered and used to build a space elevator for Earth was shown. However, 3001 branches away from that idea (Earth in 3001 does have a number of space elevators, but no reference to Jovian diamond construction is made).