SUV's, or Sport Utility Vehicles are a very popular strain of vehicle in the United States. These Jeep-like vehicles are large enough to carry the same amount of people and luggage as a mid-sized sedan, but at the same time have the added benefit of consuming the same amount of gasoline as a large pickup truck, conversion van, or battleship. All people who purchase SUV's are avid outdoorspeople who spend much of their time driving up wooded hills, over large piles of big rocks, through streams, and across huge open spaces of uninhabitable desert. This is due to the severe lack of paved roads in America. Since much of the United States is made up of untamed wilderness, it is important that most US citizens have a vehicle that is capable of scaling very hazardous terrain.

For instance, I have a friend, a grad student, who is forced to cross almost ALL of the city of Champaign, IL to get from her condo to the UIUC biology lab where she works. Champaign is riddled with hazardous obstacles such as construction projects, stop lights, other motorists, and pedestrians. Without her trusty SUV, she would not be able to plow through, drive over, and otherwise utterly crush these dangerous and potentially deadly obstructions.

SUV's are an important part of the US and Middle-Eastern economy, and hopefully everyone in the entire world will soon see the logic of owning such a powerful workhorse in these unforgiving and uncivilized times.