(author's note- anent the peculiar notion that a person's religion or belief system has any connection to their actions)

 

 

Long ago when the World was new made, there were only the beasts of the Forest and Sea and Plain and Man was but a dream in the mind of the Eternal.

 

Now at this time in the Forest all the animals lived on plants and grasses and the leaves of the tall growing trees, on the fruits of the earth, nuts and berries each in its season. All – save one who was different. Let us call him Lion, and he was the first of his kind. Lion alone lived on the flesh of the others, lived by murder and slaughter, hunting and slaying for his food.

 

Now it came to pass that the other animals wearied of this, and one day they met together to discuss the matter. It is not right, they said to one another, that one of us should live by preying on all the others, that we who love peace and tranquility should therefore live in terror and distress. Then they thought, and argued and sought for a solution. The burrowing people, Rabbit and Badger and Mole, said 'Let us dig a deep pit, and lure Lion therein.'

 

'Nay,' said the others, 'for Lion is stronger than any of us, and he will surely escape, be the trap ever so deep. Then will his anger be great and our lot worse than before,

 

' Let us flee to the far corners of the world, then, ' said the fleet footed, Deer and Antelope and tiny Gazelle, ' leaving this forest to Lion, so that we can live in safety. ' But the other animals laughed, saying, ' What foolishness, to take away his food, and believe he will not follow, yea, even to the ends of the earth.'

 

Then there was a crashing and a heavy tread in the undergrowth, and Elephant appeared, and at this all the other animals fell silent, for Elephant, though he spoke seldom, was accounted by them all as the wisest and most deep thinking of beasts, and indeed it is believed to this day that those with the fewest words speak the most sense.

 

' We are eaters of leaves and grass and the fruits of the earth,' said Elephant, 'and we are at peace with one another, is that not so?' All the animals agreed that this was no more than the truth. 'Then it seems to me that if Lion ate as we do, he would have no need to prey upon us.' rumbled Elephant, swaying to and fro and flapping his great ears.

 

All of the animals could see the sense of this, and marvelled that they had not thought of it before. Only Rabbit scratched his head and asked, 'But who will prevail upon Lion to change what he eats?'

 

At this Elephant drew himself up and curled his great trunk, and said, 'I shall reason with him, for I do not fear Lion. ' Then Elephant went and found Lion, and explained to him the distress he was causing, and how all the animals wished him to change his ways, and eat the leaves and the grass and the fruits of the earth as they did. And so pursuasive his words, and so wise they seemed, that Lion listened and promised that he would try. And whether his agreement had anything to do with the vast bulk of Elephant, or the sharpness of his tusks or the power of his trunk which could uproot the stoutest tree, this tale does not say.

 

Thus Lion ceased hunting his fellow beasts, and each day to help him change his ways the animals would select the most delicate plants, tender leaves from the top of the trees, and fruits and nuts such as they all loved, and Elephant would bring this new food and lay it before Lion, and stand solemnly by while he ate, and praise him after.

 

Lion tried to comply with this new diet, for he feared Elephant for his size and strength, but there was no convincing his stomach, which did not like the new food, and often after Elephant had departed his stomach would reject what he had eaten, and Lion grew thin and bad tempered by reason of his stomach which instead of purring in contentment began to growl and torment him with cramps.

 

So angry did Lion become in consequence that one day when Elephant arrived bearing his offering of berries and leaves, Lion forgot his fear, and such was his rage that he leapt upon Elephant and broke his neck. Then he raged through the forest, killing and devouring all that he met, until finally being sated he retired to his cave and lay down to sleep.

 

Then the animals who had survived met together, and great was their confusion and distress at the failure of their plan which had seemed so wise. Indeed, the confusion and distress persists to this day, for no one seems able to learn that no matter what a Lion eats it turns into Lion.