Hyde Park, NY is a small town located half way between Albany, NY and New York City. It was settled in 1742 and is now a residential community. Hyde Park sits on the east bank of the Hudson River. It is known for several different reasons.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt National Historic Site: The estate that FDR was born in, grew-up in, lived in as an adult and is buried at, is located in Hyde Park. Various presidents have visited this site, as well as held peace summits there. This is a national park site.

The Vall-Kill Estate: This was Eleanor Roosevelt’s get away. She often stayed at this cottage to get away from all that went on at FDR’s estate. This is a national park site.

Vanderbilt Estate: A 54-room estate located on top of a hill that overlooks the Hudson River. This national park site is not only a tourist attraction, but also a favorite for locals. The spacious lawns provide for excellent places to lay in the sun, play frisbee and picnic. This estate is also known for its gardens. The Vanderbilt garden is a beautiful three-tier garden with a wide assortment of flowers. (and guess what?) This is a national park site.

The Culinary Institute of America (CIA): The CIA is world famous for training chefs. The CIA is also located on the Hudson River. There are several different restaurants inside the institution where people come to eat. Students at the institute prepare these meals. Personally, I would try to make reservations at least two months in advance. There is also an informal lunch restaurant there (no reservations required).

Mills Mansion: Ogden Mills’ mansion has 65-rooms. It is beautiful and is also located on the Hudson River.

Beyond these historic sites, Hyde Park is also unique because it is home to a drive-in movie theater and a reconstructed 1940’s diner. The Eveready Diner is the place to be in Hyde Park.