Dubai

Population: Over 700,000

General Information:
Dubai is the second largest of the emirates of the United Arab Emirates. It is really a modern metropolis filled with resort hotels, skyscrapers, and shopping malls. Otherwise, Dubai is mostly desert but the oases and green valleys are a pleasant contrast. Dubai's population mainly consists Arabia's Islamic culture. Foreigners and tourists are welcome in Dubai. The local residents are friendly and charming (however you don't want to take their picture without permission, that really pisses 'em off). The official language in Dubai is Arabic, but English, Urdu, and Hindi are commonly spoken and widely understood. Mobile phones and other such modern electronics are very common in Dubai because they are so cheap at the local shopping malls (which happen to be tastefully decorated). Dubai sort of reminds me of Blade in the movie "Blade". He had all of the benefits of vampires and humans but none of the flaws. Well, Dubai has the comforts of a modern city without many of the faults. No air pollution, no traffic jams (cheap gas), no poverty and very little crime. Dubai has an excellent education system.

History:
Dubai started growing as a small fishing village in the 18th century by the Bani Yas tribe. It's roots, however, date back to somewhere near 1000-1 B.C., which we have found through excavations. The early inhabitants of Dubai looked to the sea for life. They mostly relied on fishing, pearling, and trade by sea. It's trade grew like bacteria (exponentially) and soon attracted merchants from all around, but especially Iran, India, and Baluchistan. Free trade and free enterprise... oh yeah. By the 1930s the population was about 20,000 and nearly a quarter of it was foreign.
1950s - The British move in and make it their trade central too, establishing a political agency in 1954.
1960s - Oil production begins and gives simple trade a run for it's money.
1970s - Britain withdraws in 1971 and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is formed.
Today, the UAE has an approximate population of 1.9 million and Dubai is the second largest as Abu Dhabi (the UAE capital) is the largest. The largest growth spurt began in the sixties with the discovery of OIL! There began a large amount of construction and the modernization of the city.

Culture and Heritage:
I have no idea what the relation is between the culture and the "freaking out about taking pictures" thing but I stress, do not take pictures with out permission! "The culture of Dubai is deeply rooted in Arabia's Islamic traditions. Their highly prized virtues are their courtesy and hospitality. A high degree of tolerance is prevalent among the society of Dubai for different lifestyles and culture. Dressing code is mostly liberal and there is no discrimination against women. Women can move around freely unescorted and without any apprehensions and restrictions. Traditional head dress and robes are very much the dressing code of the local population. Poetry, dances, songs and traditional arts have the touch and expression of Arabian culture and folklore. Most celebrations and weddings are joyous and colorful occasions to feast and make merry. Traditional sports such as camel racing, dhow racing at sea and falconry continue to thrive and are quite popular among the residents as well as visitors. Dubai's historical artifact are housed and preserved by the archeological section of Dubai Museum with utmost care. Everyday life in Dubai is rooted in Islam, which provides the strength and inspiration in all aspects of life. Every neighborhood has its own mosques, where the faithful congregate for prayer, five times a day. Jumeirah Mosque is one of the largest and most beautiful of all mosques and is a spectacular piece of modern Islamic architecture. The mosque is built of stone and is particularly attractive at night when subtle lighting throws its artistry into sharp relief."

thanks to www.krizm.com