Shintoism was a religion in Japan that began approximately 3000 years ago (660 BC). It was one of the two main religions in Japan, along with Buddhism. Since both of these were tolerant religions, many Japanese practiced both of them. It is said that many Japanese would practice Shintoism before they got married because of the wonderful and elaborate wedding ceremonies, and then they would switch to Buddhism because of the rewards promised after death.

Shintoism has no founder, and is sometimes considered more of a philosophy than a real religion. “Shinto” means “Kami”, which means “the way of the gods”. It promotes happiness and well-being. It teaches one to find good in what may seem bad, and to not hurt or wish to hurt even your enemies. Shinto followers used to offer gifts to the gods each day, such as water, food or incense. Another big part of this religion was meditation.

Shintoism was the only original Japanese religion. Where as Buddhism was one of the many Chinese influences brought into Japan in 300 to 1100 AD (the Aristocratic period). The symbol of Shinto is a very distinct and unique character. It is a decorated portal called (in Japanese) “Tori”. It is suppose to represent the sacred doorway to the Shinto Temple.

Shinto was the official religion of Japan until just after the end of the Second World War in 1945. It was after the tragic bombings of the two Japanese cities Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The emperor and the people found it was impossible to still fallow the positive teachings of Shintoism after all the bad that had happened. Japan no longer has an official religion.