After reading all of E2's nodes on Sigmund Freud I realized that Freud's defense mechanisms were lacking. His defense mechanisms were a big part of his levels of consciousness with the id, ego and superego.

In Freud's theory, a defense mechanism is a process that distorts reality to prevent the individual from being overwhelmed by anxiety. Defense mechanisms are used by the ego to protect itself from the anxiety that may be caused by id impulses, particularly those of sex and aggression. The ego may also use them to relieve the anxiety caused by unpleasant personal experiences and unacceptable personal characteristics.
These are Freud's defense mechanisms:

Repression
The banishment of threatening thoughts, feelings, and memories into the unconscious mind.

Freud suggested that our dreams represented these repressed thoughts from our unconscious.

Denial
The refusal to admit a particular aspect of reality relevant to oneself.

Many people with hemineglect (damage to the right hemisphere causing the neglect of one side of the body's existence, usually occurring to the left side) often deny the fact that they have a left arm. They refuse to believe they are neglecting one side of their body.

Regression
The displaying of immature behaviors that have relieved anxiety in the past.

A 10-year-old boy may repond to school pressures by sucking his thumb or engaging in baby talk. An adult may respond to job frustrations by crying or throwing temper tantrums.

Rationalization
The providing of socially acceptable reasons for one's inappropriate behavior.

A student whose semester grades include one D and four F's may blme the four F's on studying too much for the course in which he received a D.

Intellectualization
The reduction of anxiety by reacting to emotional situations in a detached, unemotional way.

Instead of reacting to the death of a loved one by crying, they may react by saying, "Everyone must die sometime." Intellectualization is also associated with upward mobility.

Displacement
The expression of feelings toward a person less threatening than the true target of those feelings.

A worker who hates his boss, but fears criticizing him, may instead, constantly criticize his wife.

Projection
The attribution of one's undesirable feelings to others.

There are two kinds of projections:
The first, classic kind, when we project an undesirable impulse onto an unfavorable person. Date rapists may use projection to excuse their behavior by claiming that their victims were sexually provocative. Thus, the "bad woman" got what she was asking for.
The second, we project our undesirable impulse which we admit having onto a favorable person. That is, we tell ourselves, "If I share this undesirable feeling with this admirable person, I shouldn't feel so anxious about it."

Reaction Formation
The tendency to act in a manner opposite to one's true feelings.

An SO who engages in a much more loving manner than usually before breaking up is engaging in reaction formation. S/he feels that if they treat the other person better, they will feel less guilt about rejecting them.

Compensation
The development of a talent as a response to a personal deficiency.

Perhaps Napolean compensated his shortness by becoming a conquerer.

Sublimation
The expression of sexual or aggressive impulses through indirect, socially acceptable outlets.

This, according to Freud is the most successful defense mechanism. The sex drive may be sumblimated through creative activities, such as painting, ballet, or composing music. And the aggressive drive may be sublimated through sports such as football, lacrosse, or field hockey.