A pseudo-radical movement dedicated to returning Tibet to theocratic feudalism. It is extremely anti-Chinese, often quotes outdated statistics to prove its false claims, and is championed by various limousine liberals, such as the Beastie Boys. They are very annoying, especially when you are Chinese, been to Tibet, and stop by their stall to question their sources. They are prone to violence when that occurs, and will call their accusers to be communist torturers. In my experience anyways.

The movement only argues the legality of the Chinese takeover, knowing full well that any other argument will fail. They conveniently ignore the flagrant abuses of the peasantry under the buddhist theocracy, which included (that's right, boys and girls, monks can be mean too), beatings, tortures and murders. Other than that, they are content to use sharecropping (read: rob and steal) from the peasants. But hey, who cares about the damn peasants? As long as China leaves, everything will be all fine and dandy!

The origins of this movement are unknown, but I suspect them to be the following:

The Free Tibet movement often mixes the human rights abuses of other parts of China and claim that only Tibet suffered from them. Need I mention 35 million people died in the Great Leap Forward, alone? By claiming that XXXX people died in Tibet in those years confuses the issue greatly by making it seem everyone else in China was living in comfort. Or is it only bad if Tibetans suffer and not the Han Chinese? Maybe we should free Mongolia too. How about Xinjiang? Why not Shanghai? I'm suffering in Shanghai at this very moment. Free Shanghai! Free Shanghai!

Sorry for that.

In any case, this movement conveniently ignores some very concrete facts about Tibet and bugs the hell out of everyone. Their anti-communist hatred of China is false (see Pseudo-Communism) and the reason they want Tibet to be free is because they don't like China and buddhism is oh so "in" these days.

See also Little known facts about Tibet.

TAFKAH: You still don't get it. I am in NO WAY condoning the wrongs of the Chinese government. I am however saying that the Chinese occupation was ultimately a lot better than the alternative. And if the Free Tibet people get their way, the common people of Tibet will be subjected to more misery than ever before.

And no, I'm not paid for this. I'm not even a Chinese citizen. See also Dispelling DMan myths.


TAFKAH, go read The brutality of Red China.