1994 science fiction/action flick directed by Roland Emmerich (Universal Soldier, Independence Day, The Patroit, etc.), written by Dean Devlin (with many of the same films to his credit as Emmerich) and Emmerich, and starring James Spader, Kurt Russell, and Mili Avital. The film begins with an archeological dig in Egypt in the 1920s unearthing a giant stone circle with various hieroglyphs around its edge. Fast forward to 1994, where the audience sees Dr. Daniel Jackson (Spader) talking to a crowd about the Egyptian pyramids and ultimately being ridiculed for sharing his theory that they were created by aliens (or at least with the help of aliens). The viewers also see Colonel Jonathan O'Neil, on the brink of suicide having just lost his son who shot himself, brought back to duty by the military for a secret project. Eventually Dr. Catherine Langford (Viveca Lindfors) recruits Jackson for the same project because of his theory about the pyramids.

Dr. Jackson is charged with deciphering a code of Egyptian heiroglyphs. The heiroglyphs are from the edge of the circular artifact unearthed earlier in the film (Dr. Langford, as a little girl, was present at its discovery): The stargate. The code, as they soon find out, is the order in which the glyphs must be rotated in to open a portal to another stargate elsewhere. Dr. Jackson, Col. O'Neil, and a team of soldiers eventually head through the portal to another planet to investigate, figuring Jackson can get them back by examining the glyphs on the other stargate. Of course, it isn't that simple and adventure ensues...

Not a bad movie. Actually quite enjoyable, though there are a few plot holes here and there. The acting from the main characters is pretty good (though not great) and the special effects and score (composed by David Arnold) are rather well done. The costume design (by Joseph Porro) for the ancient Egyptian gods is excellent. The battle scenes are pretty well directed. Overall though, the movie is little better than average if you're looking for something more than action and eye candy. It most likely won't blow your mind or make a connection on an emotional level but it's by no means a bad way to spend two hours. If the alien-pyramid connection sounds like complete rubbish to you though, you'll likely want to skip this one.

The film went on to inspire a television series titled Stargate SG-1 that launched in 1997 on Showtime (older episodes are currently in syndication on a local station in my area as well). I've never seen an entire episode of the show, unfortunately, but I've heard from many that it's good (and better than the film). The TV series, unsurprisingly, doesn't feature any of the same big name actors.

Distributed by Live Entertainment and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) Studios. Running time: 121 minutes (the special edition DVD has a 128 minute run time). Content rating: PG-13 (USA), PG (UK, Australia). Also known as Stargate, la porte des étoiles in France.