Actually, parts of the Oregon coast routinely get far more than 200 inches of rain a year. And with that much rain, it does indeed flood. Most flooding is minor, but there are definite exceptions.

Tillamook County, Oregon has had what the locals refer to as a "100 Years Flood" (meaning that it only floods that badly once every hundred years or so) three times since the late 1990's. These floods have caused as much as six feet of water over important highways, and have closed down most businesses in some cities for days.

While Oregon is not know for its hurricanes (as it's rare for hurricanes to originate on the Pacific Ocean), the coastal areas do commonly experience "hurricane-style winds" of 60 to 100 miles-per-hour, which can do considerable damage.

Fires are a problem in Oregon, too. In the summer of 2002, fires destroyed hundreds of thousands of acres of forests, fields and homes in the western United States, Oregon being hit hard. Thousands of people were evacuated from their homes. Some people lost everything.

Oregon is also part of the Ring of Fire. The Ring of Fire is a roughly circular region extending down Oregon, Washington and California, through the Pacific, up Japan and along Alaska's Pacific coastline. This area, the result of tectonic plate boundaries, has more than half of the world's active above-sea level volcanoes. In Oregon alone there are at least twelve volcanoes in the Cascade Range:

As Oregon schoolchildren are taught, even dormant volcanoes can erupt unexpectedly.

Being on the Ring of Fire also leads to earthquakes (though usually not as destructive as those in California) and the threat of tsunamis, most likely traveling from Oregon's neighbor across the ocean, Japan. Scientists are predicting 'The Big One' to hit within the next couple of hundred years, where the tectonic plates will shift enough to create a massive tidal wave that will engulf a considerable portion of Oregon's coast.

Even though Oregon may not have many tornados or hurricanes, it does have its share of crisis situations, as does any place on the planet.