In the role-playing game Mage the Ascension, the nine Spheres are the terms used OOC to describe a given mage's capacity to manipulate reality. Each of the Traditions looks at each individual Sphere with a different analytical perspective, each of which is different still from the views of the Technocracy, who simply regard them as scientific principles, and are different still from the Nephandi and the Marauders, who might not even know that they use magic at all.

No matter how a mage views his magic, though, in OOC terms, each Sphere is ranked with a rating of zero to five, where zero means no practical, influential knowledge and five means the mage can do whatever the hell she pleases within that Sphere. The degree of compentency is further limited by a mage's arete- if a man does not understand the reality of reality, then he is hardly able to change it, is he?

The Sphere of Prime is the stuff of the universe. The gem of an idea brings the energy into the realm of Mind, and the focus of that idea brings it about into Spirit. When Spirit takes form, it is in the shape of Life, Matter, or Forces. Perceiving these powers are functions of Correspondence and of Time. No matter how strong a force is, though, it will eventually decay through the forces of Entropy... and eventually, it will be reborn into Prime.