In the role-playing entertainment genre, in both pen and pencil and video games, a level is a concrete point of character advancement. One gains levels by accumulating higher and higher amounts of xp.

Gaining a level is usually accompanied by an increase in the character's capacity to break things and take the damage of being broken- in systems that use hit points, they often increase as well as your stats; when you use X amount of skill points to permanently gain a new way to deal death, you often get a number of skill points to use, in other systems, gaining a level often accompanies getting new weapons and armor, and so onward. Thus, a character who is third or fourth level is likely to be able to beat the snot out of a first level character, and depending on the system itself, might be able to take on five or six first level characters before they have any worries about their own safety.

The level style of character advancement is most popular in fantasy-style games, due to the common ideas behind character advancement. The D&D computer games, Diablo, Everquest and Asheron's Call are the best-known of these kinds. In other genres, though, the level system is almost universally absent; most others use an XP system (whether they call it Karma, skill points, or whatever) that is designed for more individualized character development.

Being the owner of a high-level character is a point of pride among gamers, and some of them will go to great lengths to tell other people (especially non-gamers) about how their character, Bongdingus the eighteenth level assassin/psionic/mageand how he got his favorite sword from the dark, dank caverns of the dragon Grishnakh and slew the dark god Set with it, usually prompting the listener to open up with an automatic weapon or induce a neural aneurysm in themselves to avoid having to hear about their exploits.