Ah, April 1, 2001! The first day of the new millennium dedicated to full-scale tomfoolery! How could we not commemorate it?

After queries went out among the editors and gods, suggestions for a few pranks started filtering in. N-Wing came up with some great ideas for reversing the text in writeups and converting them to 1337-speek, but I must take full blame for the concept of the now-infamous April Trolls episode: editors and gods created new troll accounts and on April 1, server time, began indulging in the worst possible newbie/troll behavior. I myself made several appearances as sloppyjoe, a high school kid who thought he was a genius and yet couldn't manage to figure out hardlinking, private messages, or proper spelling.

Numerous poorly written and inflammatory nodes quickly filled up the New Writeups box as the Chatterbox was flooded with the best and most mindless inanity we could dream up -- everything from 1337 speak to AOL speak to... some kinds of speak I didn't even recognize. A new noder named "I_OWnz_yEW" mysteriously shot to the top of the Other Users nodelet. Chaos reigned...

Rumors circulated that E2 had been hacked by nefarious enemies, bent on destroying the database once and for all. Sensing a new dimension to the prank, we editors suddenly "discovered" that our powers didn't work and that the EDB had gotten off its leash... Many noders bought into the scam lock, stock and barrel -- some even started talking about calling the FBI to track down the crackers. Other noders sensed a prank was going on, but couldn't be sure...

Inspired by the antics of another god, I even slapped together a webpage for sloppyjoe -- an enthusiastic and contentless page extolling the glories of himself, geniuses, and Star Trek. Later, E2 was treated to the spectacle of Jet-Poop and sloppyjoe engaging in a furious argument in the Chatterbox -- a feat I don't recommend for everyone, 'cause it made me feel a bit schizophrenic...

I received a number of /msg's from concerned and frustrated noders, including ephealy, Seven_, Wigs, Tauress, TrbleClef, Jurph, wukong888, and anemotis. Even with a newbie as clueless and as utterly without content as I was, they worked hard to try to direct me to the FAQ and to teach me how to use the Chatterbox correctly. Seriously, they're a credit to E2, and I'm blessing them with a few dozen XP as soon as I get this noded. Kudos, gang. In fact, kudos to all of you -- I've never seen so much concern for the database and such thoughtful musing about the future of E2. Youse guys are great. :)

In the end, we ended the prank a bit early, due to a combination of concern for the noders who were really very angry that E2 had been h4xx0red and concern for our own frazzled nerves -- at times, it was like someone had dosed us with really bad acid. The work of the troll noders is being deleted as we speak -- never let it be said that we don't clean up our own messes. Some of you are angry, and we understand, but we'd like to make sure you realize that we were just trying to have some fun and that nothing like this is ever going to happen again...

And if we think of doing any pranks next year -- kick us. Hard.