As far as I can tell, Birmingham UK's only dyke pub, at least in the city centre. It can be found on Lower Essex Street; to get there, you head towards Angels (Hurst Street), walk up the road with Route Two on it, and turn left. The Fox can be identified by its sign which is, inexplicably, a dog wearing a hat and a monocle. Odd.

It's a small pub, with one bar, a pool room and a garden. The only food it serves is crisps and peanuts, and it has free copies of Boyz and The Pink Paper.

When first going in, it's somewhat intimidating, but it's fine once you're in there. If in the pool room with more than one other person, you're likely to find yourself emboiled in a winner stays on tournament. There's no disabled access as far as I can tell, which is a bit of a bummer. The toilet facilities are a bit crap, only one cubicle in each, and there was a memorable incident last week when the ladies was out of order and we all had to use the gents. Thank god it was a gay bar.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday appear to be karaoke night, and the 'music' gets turned up hideously loud at about half past eight, rendering all conversations null and void.

It is, however, very nice to be in what is, basically, a dyke-only bar. Pubs in general, yes, including the scene, are a little masculine, and it's cool to have the option of going somewhere that's mostly women.