1. Jason, the Jewish Historian of the Maccabean revolt, came from Cyrene, on the coast of North Africa. He wrote a 5-volume history of the Jews in the second century A.D., beginning with the time of the high priest Onias III and concluded with the defeat of Nicanor. His writings were condensed by an unknown "editor" into the Aprocrypha, mainly the book of 2 Maccabees.

2. Jason was the son of Simon II and brother to Onias III. He was high priest of Jerusalem from 175 to 172 B.C., during the reign of Antiochus IV Epiphanes. Jason came into his position beacause his brother, Onias III had been absent for a while, and Jason purchased his priesthood from the king. He proceeded to Greekify Jerusalem, stressing Greek values, weakening Jewish culture. During games held in the city, Jason sent envoys with 300 drachma (their currency) as an offering to the god Hercules. This, obviously, isn't very Jewish. Despite all his efforts, Jason was finally overthrown by Menelaus, who outpaid him for the position. In 169 B.C., Jason led 1,000 men into Jerusalem in an attempt to regain power. This failed, and he spent his final years as an outcast, dying at sea en route to Sparta.


sources: The Bible (KJV): 2 Maccabees, and some old Reader's Digest thing about the people of the Apocrypha.