Design

The forth stage of the classical six stage systems analysis model.

v. de·signed, de·sign·ing, de·signs
v. tr.

  1.  
    1. To conceive or fashion in the mind; invent: design a good excuse for not attending the conference.
    2. To formulate a plan for; devise: designed a marketing strategy for the new product.
  2. To plan out in systematic, usually graphic form: design a building; design a computer program.
  3. To create or contrive for a particular purpose or effect: a game designed to appeal to all ages.
  4. To have as a goal or purpose; intend.
  5. To create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=design

This is the stage of the systems analysis cycle where all the work so far is finally pulled into one cohesive blueprint. Often a report is created summarising and listing documents and findings from the previous stages.  This will act as a “target” for the systems design to focus in on.

What is created is not an image or map of the final product but a highly detailed plan.  This purposeful and deliberate arrangement of known details and requirements into a solution that fully expresses the investigative work of the preceding stages results in a clear step-by-step guide for the creation of the final product.

If each of the preceding phases have been completed to the highest levels of skill then this stage is likely to be virtually self-completing.  All questions of need, layout, look and feel, access rights, training, systems requirements, speed and every other detail down to the level of choice of one word over another should have been answered by the in depth investigations.

Here charts are created and every aspect of the new system is fully codified.  For the first time an over view is available of the system at a depth deeper than the feasibility study report results.  Now the how is dealt with.  This stage deals only with preparation for the implementation stage.

Consideration of the following points is vital:

  • Time scale and time management systems
  • Who will be doing which part of the implementation?
  • Which users will be using what?
  • Which members of the analysis team will require access to the various notes – duplicates may be required to be stored in a common location.

Once the requirements of this stage have been met, namely the codification of the final product or solution, then work can proceed on the next stage: Implementation.



Classical Model of Systems analysis.  AKA the System Life Cycle

  1. Project Selection
  2. Feasibility Study
  3. Definition
  4. Design
  5. implementation
  6. Evaluation