I happened to be in Red Bank, New Jersey one summer morning in Y2K. I was in the area for a Phish Show later that afternoon at the PNC Bank Arts Center.

So I decided to make a pilgrimage to visit Kevin "Silent Bob" Smith himself at his comic book shop.

The sign read "open at 10am."

I waited with a cup of Shitty Starbuck´s cofiee in my hand.

and waited...

and waited...

10 a.m. comes and goes and nobody comes to open the store... slackers.

finally at about 11 a.m. as we are about to pull out and head towards the parking lot, a scruffy looking kid strolls up and opens the shop. It´s not Kevin Smith. I go in and have a look around... traditional comics shop stuff lines the shelves plus a case of signed Chasing Amy, Clerks and Dogma shit... lots of Mooby caps and clothing... but no Silent Bob.

I ask the guy if he comes in much, he says yeah sure once in a while, but that you couldn´t set your watch by his appearences. He then goes on to tell me how he recently saw Bruce Springsteen in the hardware shop across the street (I guess the Boss lives nearby) the previous week.

I walk out into the morning sunlight, grab a couple of jelly filled doughnuts at Dunkin' Donuts and head to the show.

It was an anti-climactic pilgrimage, like this WU.