The Schrodinger's Cat Paradox can be used very helpfully in illustrating the difference between events at the quantum level and those at the level we are more used to observing, or very unhelpfully to suggest that circumstances can be contrived to make large, everyday objects, behave like sub-atomic events.

As a metaphor for the startling and non-intuitive behaviour of matter at the quantum level the image is of some use. We are not used to matter being 'fuzzy' in the sense of being in an indeterminate state which only collapses into a partially measurable existence on being observed. The idea of a cat that is in an indeterminate state of aliveordeadness is a colourful way of highlighting the strange nature of light say, with its wave/particle duality.

But it only confuses matters to believe that the cat is literally behaving like a sub-atomic particle. If you (rather cruelly) performed this experiment, the cat would in fact be either alive or dead, independently of observation. Why? Because life is an emergent property of (a very sophisticated organisation of) matter. Large objects behave according to laws that are very different to those which govern the sub-atomic world. Different phenomena require different levels of explanation. Just as the laws of biology are different to those of chemistry to those of physics - even though all are connected, so the laws dealing with cats are very different to those for quantum events. Cats, chairs, tables, you and me - do not exist in quantum states.