Fuel economy (or mileage) is the average distance a vehicle can travel on a specific volume of gasoline. Common units to express fuel economy are:
  • Miles per Gallon (MPG) ; the number of miles a car can travel on a gallon of gasoline. A high MPG indicates a more efficient performance of the vehicle.
  • Kilometers per Liter (km/L); Sometimes (confusingly) expressed as 1 : x, where x is the number of kilometers travelled. This rating is the metric equivalent of the MPG quantization that is common in the U.S.
  • Liters per 100 Kilometers (L/100 Km). Another popular measure for fuel economy. In this case, a higher quantity indicates a lower fuel economy.

Converting the various units is easy: 1 MPG = 0.425 Km/L, 1 Km/L = 2.35 MPG. See table below.

-------------------------
  MPG    km/L    L/100 km
-------------------------
  5.0     2.1      47.0
 10.0     4.3      23.5
 20.0     8.5      11.8
 30.0    12.8       7.8
 40.0    17.0       5.9
 50.0    21.3       4.7
 60.0    25.5       3.9
 70.0    29.8       3.4
 80.0    34.0       2.9
 90.0    38.3       2.6
100.0    42.5       2.4
-------------------------

Government agencies, such as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as well as several automobile manufacturers often test vehicles for their fuel economy. These are standardized tests that allow for a direct comparison between different brands and models of cars. The vehicles are tested in a laboratory by professional drivers, using a test setup similar to a treadmill.

The EPA annually reports fuel economy estimates for most cars sold in the U.S.; This data consists of two different estimates of the fuel economy; a city, and a highway estimate.

The test used to determine the city fuel economy estimate simulates a 7.5-mile, stop-and-go trip with an average speed of 20 miles per hour (mph). The trip takes 23 minutes and has 18 stops. About 18 percent of the time is spent idling, as in waiting at traffic lights or in rush hour traffic. Two kinds of engine starts are used: the cold start, which is similar to starting a car in the morning after it has been parked all night; and the hot start, similar to restarting a vehicle after it has been warmed up, driven, and stopped for a short time.

The test to determine the highway fuel economy estimate represents a mixture of "non-city" driving. Segments corresponding to different kinds of rural roads and interstate highways are included. The test simulates a 10-mile trip and averages 48 mph. The test is run from a hot start and has little idling time and no stops (except at the end of the test).

Since the fuel economy estimates reported by the EPA are obtained in a laboratory, the results are generally adjusted for actual driving conditions on the road; i.e. the city estimate is lowered by 10%, and the highway estimate by 22%.


Go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov for more info, and to find fuel economy data of various automobiles.