A romantic novel by Laura Esquivel about Tita, a young woman living in Mexico.
Tita is the youngest daughter in her family and therefore is destined to take care of her mother, Mama Elena, until Mama Elena dies.
Tita, however falls in love with Pedro, but can not marry him because of the tradition.
Pedro, instead, marrys Tita's older sister, Rosaura, so that he and Tita will be close to each other.
Eventually Pedro and Tita have a child and Mama Elena sends them off to Texas because she sees Tita getting close to Pedro, which she has forbade.
The child unfortuantly dies and Tita blames the death on Mama Elena. They fight and Tita runs up to their dove cove and refuses to come down.
Mama Elena calls upon Dr. John Brown to get Tita and send her away to a mental hospital. However, John takes Tita to his house, away from her mother, and tries to help her.
John falls in love with Tita and asks for Tita's hand in marriage.
Mama Elena is badly beaten from a raid from revolutionaries and is left paralyzed.
Tita comes back home to care for her but Mama Elane refuses to eat anything because she feels that Tita is trying to poisen her so that she will die and Tita will be free and she eventually dies..
Rosaura dies leaving Pedro and Tita able to express their love. John leaves the house with out marrying Tita.
They both die in a fire created by their intense love.

It is an interesting book but better when read in Spanish.